Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: STEELHEAD SOON  (Read 18452 times)

Catch44

STEELHEAD SOON
« on: November 01, 2009, 04:02:35 PM »

Steelhead soon?....When does steelhead start and when is it in full bloom?...And me being kinda of a newb, would love to hear about tips and good combo's and catching them and where they like to sit any advice would be awesome and not just for me but others as well im sure...Also..whats the biggest anyone has caught?..

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: STEELHEAD SOON
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 04:33:18 PM »

use the SEARCH function and im sure you will get more info then you wish for, trust me there is lots on here if you look for it.

I think the record hatchery on the Vedder is 22 or 23lbs but i may be wrong. Im sure there has been bigger ones but probably not recorded
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

aquaholic

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 04:45:24 PM »

Here is a basic idea for you to think about.

Baits for Steelhead, Roe Chunks,Roe bags,Prawns,Sand Shrimp,jensen egg with a fluff of wool
Artificials for Steelhead Gooeybobs,Colorados,4 and 6 inch rubber worms usually pink coloured other colours work to,Jigs tipped with prawns

Slow walking speed water will hold fish, Tailouts etc, look for structure, stumps and log jams, large boulder for fish to hide around in.
Fish seams where slow water meets faster water fish along that edge. Dont spend allot of time fishing runs, fish them fast and keep covering water.

Another thing i like to do is.. Look at what other people are using and use something different. I came in behind a guy using prawns i fished chunk roe (Natural Coho Roe) and pulled out a fish. Doesnt happen all the time. but being aware of what others are using will highten your chances

Another thing is, if someone is working a run DONT walk below them, its a great way to get a guy annoyed. If you notice the guy isnt moving at all , ask politly if its ok if you can fish below him most of the time they wont mind.

Hardest part of steelhead fishing is trying to find them... they will usually take what you have offer them.

Steelhead Conservation Tag is NEEDED if you want to fish for steelhead,  once you bonk your fish your done for the day
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 04:51:35 PM by aquaholic »

Catch44

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 04:49:05 PM »

Awesome..thnx guys...keep the tips and convo going...its great theres a place to where I can actually talk with ppl instead of like the fishing store where they just try to sell ya stuff and such, plus with so many ppl on here get lots of input and contacts and friends..thats cool...Well im hoping to hook a few this yr and smoke them..and what a good looking fish to.

aquaholic

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 05:45:05 PM »

just be persistant.. and pound away at the runs. you will get a steelhead just do alot of research before they actually get here and learn what you can so your prepared for the time !!

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 05:53:01 PM »

when does steelhead fishing start and stop ???

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 05:57:32 PM »

also you can feel free to ask if anyone is willing to take you out once or twice and show you how to read water and stuff. hardest part of steelheading is learning where the fish will be from one run to another. some guys are so good at this they will hook a fish in every run they hit pretty much and will get at least one fish everyday they head out.

It took me until my 3rd season for steelies until i got my first one landed, didnt even touch one the first year  :'( once you figure out things steelies are fairily easy to get to bite.

Aqua makes great points about fishing through a run quickly and not fence posting in one spot however you can go back to the top of the run and work it through with another presentation which is a great way to find fish also.

big tip i can give you is to not just walk past any water when your learning, fish EVERYTHING even if you think it wont hold fish. you might get shocked by where they will sit in certain runs. I got one fish (16lbs) in a tiny little slot that was maybe 2 feet deep and the water was super clear  :o
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bluesteele

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 06:26:45 PM »

Here is a basic idea for you to think about.

Baits for Steelhead, Roe Chunks,Roe bags,Prawns,Sand Shrimp,jensen egg with a fluff of wool
Artificials for Steelhead Gooeybobs,Colorados,4 and 6 inch rubber worms usually pink coloured other colours work to,Jigs tipped with prawns

Slow walking speed water will hold fish, Tailouts etc, look for structure, stumps and log jams, large boulder for fish to hide around in.
Fish seams where slow water meets faster water fish along that edge. Dont spend allot of time fishing runs, fish them fast and keep covering water.

Another thing i like to do is.. Look at what other people are using and use something different. I came in behind a guy using prawns i fished chunk roe (Natural Coho Roe) and pulled out a fish. Doesnt happen all the time. but being aware of what others are using will highten your chances

Another thing is, if someone is working a run DONT walk below them, its a great way to get a guy annoyed. If you notice the guy isnt moving at all , ask politly if its ok if you can fish below him most of the time they wont mind.

Hardest part of steelhead fishing is trying to find them... they will usually take what you have offer them.

Steelhead Conservation Tag is NEEDED if you want to fish for steelhead,  once you bonk your fish your done for the day

Good Post Aquaholic...BUT Before anyone BONKS a steelie be damn sure your on water that allows it!  :)

Thanks
Bluesteele

Catch44

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 06:31:30 PM »

Yea...I see some holes and go...i'll try this...cause you never know..and some times ill watch for a few and see how guys are fishing or a bit of technique watching...and see what they are doing different than what im doing..but i love it and even empty handed its still nice to get out and try and learn.But yea I read that steelhead are a bit tough to catch sometimes.

Catch44

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 06:33:16 PM »

And yea for sure great advice...and yes make sure you can bonk em.....all this talk and tips is great...and general bs is good to.Just getting bit excited about the steelhead comming up....

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 07:55:35 PM »

when does steelhead fishing start and stop ???

I wasn't aware it ever stopped  ???
Actions speak louder than words.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 08:06:54 PM »

it doesn't
Fish killer 101

Catch44

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 08:14:20 PM »

Yea...but i thought i got busy later in year...for the steelhead

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 08:26:43 PM »

Memorize the water if you see a steelhead hooked. Under similar water conditions, steelhead will be holding in the exact same spot.

Catch44

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 08:44:36 PM »

All right sounds good....I havent ever caught one yet....do they fight llike coho...i hear they hit harder and fight more...sounds good if thats true...cant wait till next weekend for more