Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stoke's Pit/Latimer Lake  (Read 8838 times)

GordJ

Re: Stoke's Pit/Latimer Lake
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 09:26:17 PM »

Is their an inflow? Where does it get water from?
It's an old gravel pit with groundwater seeping in.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 09:36:32 PM »

It's an old gravel pit with groundwater seeping in.

Thats the way it has always been. Just wondering if things had changed. Without an inflow or outflow how can their keep it stocked? What about the summer months when the levels go WAY down? Their was a reason it was never restocked. For all I care as long as nothing can get in or out you can stock it with those alien bass fish. Atleast they are active in warmer water.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

GoFishBC

• Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 08:37:45 AM »

Latimer Pond has been stocked by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC up until 2004 with catchable and adult rainbow trout.  Latimer supported a very viable fishery until the increased development in the area resulted in significant water loss from the pond.  Water levels became so low, and conditions were no longer acceptable to support a stocking program so stocking was ceased.  Although there will be no stocking in the near future, there is a possibility looking to the future.  FFSBC has inititated communication with the city of Surrey regarding potentially re-establishing Latimer Pond as an urban fishery. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:02:13 PM by GoFishBC »

jpar247

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 05:26:34 PM »

Latimer Pond has been stocked by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC up until 2004 with catchable and adult rainbow trout.  Latimer supported a very viable fishery until the increased development in the area resulted in significant water loss from the pond.  Water levels became so low, and conditions were no longer acceptable to support a stocking program so stocking was ceased.  Although there will be no stocking in the near future, there is a possibility looking to the future.  FFSBC has inititated communication with the city of Surrey regarding potentially re-establishing Latimer Pond as an urban fishery.

Sure would be nice if they restored Latimer. I would love to be able to catch a fish on the lake I learnt to cast my fly rod on.  Would bring back some great memories!

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 05:54:33 PM »

Sure would be nice if they restored Latimer. I would love to be able to catch a fish on the lake I learnt to cast my fly rod on.  Would bring back some great memories!
        It would also  be a place to once again build new memories. those of us that used to fish there could bring our grandchildren there. Kids in the neighbourhood could walk or bike there.
fishing is life, the rest is just details.

Silex-user

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 08:02:37 PM »

If I remember correctly, Gravel Pit (Latimer pond) which I used to called it back in 1977 was the first time Prov. Fisheries branch stocked it with pan size trouts. I used to ride my bike there right after High School and always catch my limit of 8 trouts. Earth worms or single eggs fishing with float was favorite technique. Furthermore,  sometimes I just cast the bait out and let it sit on the bottom.

This pond is where I first learn to fly fish and also, the first time I used a Belly boat.

I would love to (hopefully) bring my grand children to fish there if it ever stock it again.

Silex-user

Burkie

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 09:32:20 PM »

There used to be some big carp in there as well

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 11:25:27 PM »

My kids are exactly the reason why i would like to see it get stocked again (soon) because they are now almost 2 & 4 which are great ages to get them started. My oldest has landed trout and salmon(pinks) so far already on gear, fly and spey  ;D

Latimer was also the first lake i started fishing when i got my belly boat many years ago. Green Timbers however was where i started to fly fish but Latimer was a close second.

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 10:02:56 AM »

The water levels, if I recall, were fine year round with the exception of late July - early September.  Usually stocked lakes are fished out by these months anyways, especially a smaller lake like Latimer.

Like others mentioned I would like to bring my son there as it was generally not to crowded and was a nice safe place to learn how to fish.

Thanks to Rodney and GoFishBC for getting the ball rolling.

GordJ

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 12:44:06 PM »

Thats the way it has always been. Just wondering if things had changed. Without an inflow or outflow how can their keep it stocked? What about the summer months when the levels go WAY down? Their was a reason it was never restocked. For all I care as long as nothing can get in or out you can stock it with those alien bass fish. Atleast they are active in warmer water.
Before you demonize bass as aliens remember that any fish in this water is an alien. Before it was a pit it was forest then they dug a hole and took all the dirt away.
Keeping it stocked would be easy because the only way the fish that are put in the lake can leave is by dying or by being carried away by predators.
The groundwater in the area seems to be coming back so maybe we will see stocking resumed in the future. I know quite a few people, like the ones who have posted here, who started fly fishing here.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 02:11:47 PM »

If you are interested in seeing this urban fishery restored, it might be a good idea to contact the City of Surrey and recommend it. When municipality sees a demand on a particular service, more often than not they will act on it, especially when the cost of doing so is low.