Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jig Fishing  (Read 2179 times)

Diesel

Jig Fishing
« on: July 23, 2006, 11:01:27 PM »

was wondering about jig fishing. What size rod and reel work together in casting light jigs for bigger fish like steelhead or springs?And what line would go on the reel? Thanx {almost to hot today} :'(

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Jig Fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 11:21:29 PM »

I've had success casting 3/8 oz jigs for steelheads and cohos on my Sage 2106 with Calcutta reel

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 09:04:47 AM »

Americans are huge on their jigs...in fact, many salmon and steelhead fishermen down south fish exclusively jigs.  Your rod depends greatly on the river and you budget.  I fish a nine foot lamiglas and a 200 calcutta for fishing jigs and floating too -  I can sling a #2 blue fox 75-100 feet with that set up. .  I think a smaller rod (9 vs 10.5) is better as casting lighly weighted presentations seems much easier on a shorter, faster rod - this assumes a bait cast reel opposed to a spinning reel.  I have read that you dont want any weight on your line between the float and the jig (hampers jig action) so usually the presentations are relatively light.

If you have the money, I would try avoid having a rod that is dual purpose, get a spinning rod and reel for your jig fishing.  It will be easier for casting those lighter presentations.  For steelhead and coho, a 8-10.5 foot rod rated 8-12lb would be fine.  If you want to target springs then a little beefier would be well advised.

I know many jig fishermen fish braid and I think thats essential if you fish jigs under a float with a spinning reel.  20 lb power pro has 6lb diameter so it is far easier to mend and keep out of the water.  This is critical with jigs, if there is any drag then the jigs feathers wont puff out and unjulate in the current...they kind of compress into a skinny tail when the jig is pulled thru the water and thats not a jigs ideal presentation.

I fish 30 lb braid on my 9 foot lami...with a diameter equal to 8lb mono, its so easy to cast. I usually run a 4 foot mono leader sized to the target species...I have hooked coho, steelhead and springs this way. 

good luck

Diesel

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 09:48:35 PM »

Thanx for all the insight. What about G-loomis IMX str1082c 9/light- med -fas -ac , with a currado reel? And if yes would i use the same style of line. The reason i am straying over to level wind style reels is because i seem to be more comfortable with that syle. Thanx