Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coquihalla River to Open July 22nd......  (Read 3180 times)

dennyman

• Old Timer
Coquihalla River to Open July 22nd......
« on: July 21, 2006, 10:39:42 PM »

Well I was cruising another fishing site and it looks like the Coquihalla River will open this weekend. It will be flyfishing only, and catch and release of  all fish caught. Rodney maybe you could post a link to the updated fishing regulations.  In books I have read on the Coquihalla there used to be a good run of summer run steel head.  Will have to give it a try sometime this summer and see if there are any still around.

Sandhead

Re: Coquihalla River to Open July 22nd......
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 09:43:58 AM »

Is the Coquihalla River more suited to steelheading with a fly rod or spey rod? I would love to get a spey setup
Ain't no HO like a COHO

Rowdy

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 11:15:11 PM »

Is the Coquihalla River more suited to steelheading with a fly rod or spey rod? I would love to get a spey setup

A single hand is fine....a traditional (14ft 9w) Spey setup is might be a tad overkill...but still fun.  I fished it today with my 11ft 6w "switch" spey...was a total blast.....and a complete honor to fish such a beautiful system.......I was on cloud nine all day.

If your thinking of getting a Spey just for smaller systems like that you should consider the shorter setups out there. 

sliverbullet

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 09:55:05 AM »

sweet ive been scouting out a few spots on the roadtrips

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 10:54:34 AM »

i have picked out 2 nice spots that have been there for awhile. hopefully i can try them next time we go up to westbank.