Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heffley Lake, October 13th 2013  (Read 1167 times)

D.Sams

Heffley Lake, October 13th 2013
« on: October 16, 2013, 05:28:28 PM »

Over this past weekend I made the trip up into the interior to visit my in-laws, who reside in the Kamloops area.  One of these in-laws owns property about 45 minutes outside of town, on Heffley Lake.  On the afternoon of the 13th, I was able to sneak away for awhile and, using his 8 ft. aluminum row boat, managed to get some fishing in. 

It was a brief session, lasting only 2 hours, but the results were astounding - especially when compared to the urban lakes in the Lower Mainland I generally utilize.  The weather was clear and sunny (13 degrees) and I started off using a rooster tail.  After an entirely unsuccessful half hour, I made the switch over to a large black leech fly and the effect was immediate.  Over the following 1.5 hours I landed 14 fish in total - the smallest of which being a hair under a pound and the largest nearing 2.5.  I've attached a couple of photos, though taking them by oneself whilst ensuring a safe and expedited release tends to be difficult!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Heffley Lake, October 13th 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 05:54:35 PM »

Sounds like a great couple hours. :)
I bet you put aside a little more time for the lake next trip up that way.  :D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »

Nothing, and I mean, NOTHING beats dialing it in on an interior lake.
Congratulations!

D.Sams

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 02:52:50 PM »

You are correct, Firstlight, I'm already planning my return trip next year to include at least one full day of lake fishing.  2 hours simply isn't enough time when a lake is that productive :)

Thanks for the congratulations, Milo.  You are correct as well!  Perhaps some of the best fishing I have yet to experience has been in the interior, it's very tough to beat and special in it's own, specific, way.  All in all I'm feeling fortunate to have spent the time I did, even though ideally I would have spent considerably more.

For the record, as well, I should add that I was fishing in approximately 14-19 feet of water.  After allowing the fly to sink for near to 15 seconds after my initial cast, I retrieved it slowly and generally within the first 25ft I was getting bites/strikes/hookups.  Using a #10 or #11 black leech fly, though I can't be certain - I'm generally bad with hook sizes.