Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack tidal charts?  (Read 16432 times)

fetoid

Chilliwack tidal charts?
« on: February 28, 2011, 12:12:49 PM »

I always assumed that the Chilliwack area had high and low tide about the same time as Vancouver.   Someone told me that high tide occurs several hours after Vancouver.  Sure enough I found a tidal chart for Port Moody and high tide is about 10 minutes later than Vancouver, at least on the random days I checked.
I can’t find a tidal chart for the Chilliwack area.  Has anyone seen one?  Does anybody plan their fishing in that area (Vedder canal or Fraser) based on tides, or is it too far upriver?
Thanks for the advice

fishgod

Re: Chilliwack tidal charts?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 12:20:53 PM »

There is a tidal station at Mission
Compared to point Atkinson - tidal influence reaches mouth of Vedder 3.5-4 hrs later
hope this helps
Always pray to the fishgods everyday.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 10:04:34 PM »

You won't find a tidal chart for Chwk as it's not a marine location. But there certainly is a tidal influence that far upstream in the Fraser and even quite aways up the Vedder Canal. When I am fishing the canal I keep a close eye on the tide charts, as do a large number of anglers who are more canal savvy than I. A flood tide in the morning at first light can be killer.

fishgod is correct with his timing of 3.5-4 hours later than Pt. Atkinson. Although the station at Mission is not a tidal station per se, the water heights graph will tell you when the high/low tide influence peaks at Mission.

fetoid

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 03:23:20 PM »

Does anybody have a website for water level near Mission/Chil.?

Thanks.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 03:32:05 PM »

fetoid

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 10:50:10 AM »

http://www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/text_search/search_e.html?search_by=p&region=BC

Scroll down and select Fraser River at Mission.

this shows current and historical data.  i can't find anyplace for future tide/water levels for the Mission area.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 11:18:42 AM »

this shows current and historical data.  i can't find anyplace for future tide/water levels for the Mission area.

That's because it's not a tidal station. There is no tide at Mission however there is a tidal influence as the Fraser River backs up from the tidal "plug".

The station at Mission is a hydrometric gauging (water levels) station. Its purpose is not to predict water levels, but to report.

brownmancheng

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 12:23:10 PM »

If you cross reference it with the tidal station you should be able to determine the delay and then be able to use the tide predictor to determine future tidal influence

Zackattack

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 01:07:46 AM »

super old thread but I was curious of the true time difference to
I tried the hydrometric data for a number of days and cross referenced them to past tide charts and I don't think its good to go by this. The highs and low tides from the mission readings were almost the same as the highs + lows in Vancouver on certain given days. Other dates I played with were more realistic, but I wouldn't wanna rely on it.
Think ill just stick to the 3-4 hour rule as I have in the past