Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chasing A Thief Today Instead Of a Steelhead, January 18!!!  (Read 8032 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chasing A Thief Today Instead Of a Steelhead, January 18!!!
« on: January 18, 2005, 04:30:00 PM »

My day started off innocently enought although a trip to the dentist should have signaled things would take a interesting turn before the day ended.

As I start for the door to leave for the 8:30 appointment the phone rings and Buckeye wants to meet up later to give me some funds from the membership drive presently under way for the FVSS. He has collected money from different sources for a total of 64 memberships. ;D ;D

The telephone call makes me late for the dentist visit, putting the office in a bit of an ugly mood.

I escape the dentist chair in time to meet Buckeye and go over the membership and enjoy a coffee and some good fellowship at TH's. We talk about maybe taking Rodney on a cutthroat trip after the Friday CVRCC meeting. He knows the hotspot but will not tell me. Most likely will blind fold us on the way to them. ;D ;D

I deposit the money at the bank and this is when the fun starts, you may laught as I can now but not at the time.

I park and slip into the Post Office for all of 30 seconds.

As I near the Leaf Mobile I see a fellow coming out of it, I do a double check, if that is not the L.M. where I parked her were did she go?

I then see this fellow with my brief case in his hand, even though I am over 60 it does not take long for me to register, A ROBBERY IN PROGRESS. I shout, "give me back my brief case" what to me was a natural question one would think. Anyway the fellow seems determined that he wants it and the contents which had my cell phone charger, some Canadian Tire bucks, some loose change and most important my FVSS bank deposit book.

Glad I had deposited the FVSS money in the bank also flashes through my mind briefly. I would have some explaining to do to Buckeye and others if I was to lose this sizable amount of funds

Luckly my new cell phone that I recently had to replace after losing the previous one not long after purchasing it was in my pocket. If I was really thinking I should have pulled it out and used the video feature to film this young crook.

But I had no time for that as I now was in hot pursuit of this fellow maybe 35 years my junior. I am keeping pace nicely with this guy shouting once again "give me back my brief case".The footing was something to be disired especially in dress shoes in the melting slush of the side street. To compound matters as I stated earlier I had been late for my dentist appointment and had not put a belt on so my dress pants were starting to slip a bit. Rememeber me chasing that Drennan story I wrote the other day on the Vedder. The difference is I had others watching this foot chase. ;D

Anyway I am closing in a bit on this guy, thanks to my badminton skills I am not bad on my feet if you do not mind me saying so. All of a sudden this criminal for some reason throws my precious brief case into a snow bank, to delay me somewhat I guess, I scoop, I grap it on the run well practiced from snaring that Drennan float once again from the other days story that I related to this forum.

As the chap disappears around the corner of an apartment a truck driver called Tom pulls up in his truck seeing the pursuit, it must have been to him a bit like what you see on COPS on TV minius the video camera of course.

He is on his Cell phone calling 911 as I give up the chase getting what I really wanted my brief case back. I get the phone from Tom and give the details to dispatch. Tom stays at the scene while I go back to check the Leaf Mobile who feels I am sure is a bit angry at me for not locking her up. "but I was only going away for a few seconds" no excuse I know.

Anyone knowing my vehicle would realize finding anything in it would be a difficult task in itself and I thought the smell of roe would have been enough of a turn off.

I see a knife on the floor knocked off by the culprit as he got a toonie or two from the gear shift area. I lock her up good as I return to Tom who agrees to stick around and wait for the investigating officer. Then the phone rings and the lady assigned the case is 15 minutes away and can not come for a while anyway. Ok with me and I give her all the info for her to check out when she has the time. Meanwhile I am soaking wet from being out in the pouring rain and the results of my merry chase.

Just then Tom has flagged down a RCMP officier who was driving by as I am talking to the other officier on the phone, she radio's him and I hear them discussing things. So then I repeat everything to him and we visit the apartment looking for this guy most likely long gone. All we see is footprints in the snow. The officier also talks to a man that was looking out the window that I am sure saw everything but he gave the pat answer "Saw nothing"??? Right.

The officier asks if I would like a ride back to the LM, I say yes, so I jump in the back but "will be a bit tight he tells me". Before I think I say yes and as I slip behind the glass behind the officier I realize what will this look like if someone that knows me looking like a drowned rat sitting in the cage of the cruiser. ;D ;D

I crouch low and the trip is made fairly quickly and I scramble out in a hurry, thank the officer for my first ride ever in the "back" of a police car.

I phone my wife and tell the story, a good one for the newspaper she says laughing as much as some of you will I am sure. Your tonic for the day.

I do some errands and visit the crime scene a couple of time video phone at the ready incase I see this fellow trying this trick on some other fool hardy person like me that did not lock his car.

I usually try to give a tip or two in my fishing stories so my tip today is simple as I think they say "LOCK OUT CRIME".

Hope you enjoyed a different type of my fishing journal and like I say often, isn't retirement great as there always is a different adventure around that next corner, the next pool, the next drift of the river (or street).

Finally, in losing this guy does that mean my steelhead hook land ratio moves from 3 for 12 to unlucky 3 for 13???? ;D ;D

Going duck hunting now and will leave you to Chris' daily journal after all with the Vedder high and rising there is no fishing story to write today. ;D

« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 05:31:13 PM by chris gadsden »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: Chasing A Thief Today Instead Of a Steelhead, January 18!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 04:54:54 PM »

Finally, in losing this guy does that mean my steelhead hook land ratio moves from 3 for 12 to unlucky 3 for 13???? ;D ;D

Glad you got your briefcase back.  The little Ba$tard probably didn't expect such a heated chase from a senior..  Serves him right!

That wasn't a Steelhead, it was a LUNKhead!

the_pict

• glenmorangie- fishing -triumph motorcycles
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 05:21:44 PM »

jeez being retired seems like alot of work  ;D

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 05:30:07 PM »

Chris, it might be time to move to the East end of Vancouver. Probably less crime. Glad to see you got your briefcase back. Sounds like your pretty agile for a "round" kind of fellow. ;D

Your story painted the  picture like I was right there, ......or was I

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 05:30:57 PM »

hes lucky u didnt have your duck hunting gun!! haha  :P

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 05:40:51 PM »

I'm glad you got your case back... but think about it, what if you had caught up with him and he decided to fight.   :-\

I'm sure what ever was in the case wasn't worth Aids, HepC or worse.

Tom was a big guy and he would have taken care of him. ;D ;D

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 05:47:24 PM »

I was sort  of hoping it ended with "Idiot ran in front of truck...."  ::)

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 08:26:14 PM »

lol i was kinda hoping for chris to get in the back seat and end up right beside the guy

left hook ,right hook, upper cut

glad you got your stuff back chris, you could write a story on the making of cheese
and make it sound fun lmao  ;)
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 09:20:45 PM »

Great story and a Happy Ending!
Glad to hear you didn't end up with a broken ankle or worse-easy enough for a person to do on an icy sidewalk. :o

Buckeye

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 05:54:21 AM »

Moral of the story:

Always wear a belt

;D ;D ;D

It's a good thing you have such a great sense of humor Chris  :)

Dunno about fishing on friday though... the water looks real bad  :( :'(

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 08:26:09 AM »

BAD BOY'S, BAD BOY'S, WHATCHA GONA DO?  WHATCHA GONA DO WHEN THEY COME FOR YOU! ;D

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 09:30:26 AM »

I must point out a terrible mistake you made. You NEVER, NEVER, EVER, make your dentist mad.  :-[
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Buck_wife

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 03:49:52 PM »

lol Chris! for someone who so elegantly helps a lady put on her coat, you really need to learn to keep your pants up!!  ;D
Glad to hear you're alright though. Would rather have seen you in the back of a police cruiser, than in the back of an ambulance, had the fellow turned on you.
Enough of the superman stunts already, we need you around for the fishing show... ;)

take care,

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 04:05:15 PM »

Great story and glad it turned out ok! What I don't get is why no one else helped give chase? Wern't there many other people around?

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 09:25:17 PM »

Funniest thing Ive read in a long time. Classic!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?