Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ~~~Chilliwack/Vedder River Steelhead~~~  (Read 13593 times)

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
~~~Chilliwack/Vedder River Steelhead~~~
« on: January 17, 2005, 09:26:16 PM »

About a month ago while studying for my guides exam, I came across a couple of "Grey areas" in the Fresh water fishing synopsis. By reading the regulation below it indicated that an angler can retain 2 hatchery steelhead from the Chilliwack/ Vedder system. One between Slesse Cr. and the crossing bridge, and one below the crossing bridge. I thought they changed the Reg's to one hatchery steelhead in '97 or '98. How do you guys read that regulation? I have a couple of more discrepancies to follow.

http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/pdf/region_2.pdf

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: ~~~Chilliwack/Vedder River Steelhead~~~
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 09:44:18 PM »

On that note...is the dusk to dawn prohibition in place for Steelhead?  I recall it always said "Salmon", and don't remember reading anything in the regs.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 10:30:01 PM »

One hatchery steelhead per day in the Chilliwack - Vedder system. I do agree with your interpretation that the Regulations seems to suggest one above Vedder Crossing and one below.

On another topic, will you be starting your own guiding business ?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 11:39:55 PM »

Why then?   Do you figure you'll need one?  :o

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 11:42:19 PM »

;D ;D

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 12:15:10 AM »

Isn't it unethical to post someone elses picture without permission?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 12:31:46 AM »

Randog: The reg certainly need some modifications for easy interpretation. What they can do is, under Chilliwack/Vedder River, use one row for daily quota of trout and steelhead (since they are the same for both sections/entire system), and use separate rows for gear restrictions, closures and openings for sections.

Fulcrum: If you choose not to contribute anything constructive, and intend to make those little sarcastic remarks that are rather repetitive, then please do not even bother to post. Credibility has already been lost, and most are already tired of the way you choose to belittle others. Funny, apparently an individual becomes more ethical than everyone else once he or she has overcome the temptation and stopped flossing for sockeye. I wonder what does that make people like me who have never even flossed for sockeye before, a Saint? ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 12:42:19 AM »

Don't bother, I'm not really interested.

It was a joke, get it? The last thing I wish for on earth would be to become more holier than others.

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 01:12:36 AM »

Let's have a chat about your saint hood in person on the 29th rodney.   8)

Well Fulocum, Rodney may have declined your invitation, but I would accept it.  What is it that you would want to chat about?

I think that most of the readers here know that a bunch of your buddies started another site, and that now in a sense you are repping that site.  If you want that site to grow, the site needs to have integrity and a rep, not just having a sole flavour of the month (that being "ethics"... lol).  When you make elementary school level posts, you negatively affect your site's integrity which directly affects the site's rep because you are a part of that site.  Althought this concept may be hard for you to comprehend, maybe you should think twice before clikcking the "Post" button.  If not for the readers of FWR's sake (you probably have little to no integrity here anyways, your posts get boring after the first word) but for the future success of your buddies' site.  Think about it, I know you can.  We have faith in you.

Shane

Rowdy

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 01:45:22 AM »

Interesting change in direction of this thread.  I am relatively new to this forum and follow the "goings on" on other forums.  I even crashed a gathering put on by the SR group, as I was in the area.  Seems like an ok bunch of people with some good ideas and were definitely nice and friendly enough by welcoming me to their fire and offering me refreshments and food.

Don't take this the wrong way.......

I don't spend allot of time on this forum or the SR forum...I mainly hang out in Fish BC.  I don't know what the beefs are, I don't care as well.  But when I see cheap shot posts by founding members or the likes of....well it just seems petty to me, and makes me think twice about where I would want to contribute.

Just a neutral view of whats happening to our cyber fishing community.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 01:51:17 AM by Rowdy »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 07:46:17 AM »

Isn't it unethical to post someone elses picture without permission?

I wouldn't have put it on the 'Net if I was afraid of what people would do with it.   Thanks for you concern though.    Any image on the 'Net is available for "fair use".  i.e. it can be used to illustrate a point, help someone out, etc.  But it CANNOT be misrepresented as belonging to anyone other than the original creator of the picture, unless they have expressly released it for use into the public domain. 

Of course, that means that I can use your images to illustrate that perhaps a guide could help you avoid THIS situation in the future, and teach you how to release a dark chinook WITHOUT dragging it on the rocks :)

Oliver

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 08:01:08 AM »

Of course, that means that I can use your images to illustrate that perhaps a guide could help you avoid THIS situation in the future, and teach you how to release a dark chinook WITHOUT dragging it on the rocks :)

Bahahahahahahaa!!! I knew that one was going to come back.  ;D  ;D  ;D

And itosh, your snide remarks about another site could also be seen as being counter productive to this site as you are obviously poking fun at the serious lack of lack of ethics in some fisheries and that particular websites dedication to changing those problems.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 02:23:10 PM by LimitKiller »

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 08:41:29 AM »

Back to the question!Page 30 says...  2 steelhead over 50 cm allowed.
Page 32 says...  1 hatchery steelhead daily quota between Slessy & Vedder Crossing.
                       1 hatchery steelhead daily quota below Vedder Crossing.

However, here is the clincher...

British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations, 1996
SOR/96-137
Registration 5 March, 1996
FISHERIES ACT

PART V
FISHING FOR FIN FISH OTHER THAN SALMON IN NON-TIDAL WATERS

Daily Quotas

56. (1) No person shall catch and retain in a day more fish of a species set out in column I of Schedule VII, of an overall length set out in column II, than

(2) A person who, in a day, has caught and retained the daily quota for steelhead in a lake or stream shall cease fishing in that lake or stream for the rest of the day. SOR/2001-156, s. 13.Aggregate Daily Quotas

Aggregate Daily Quotas

57. No person shall catch and retain in a day from any lake or stream, more than

(a) six wild rainbow trout and hatchery rainbow trout, in the aggregate;

(b) one wild steelhead and hatchery steelhead, in the aggregate;

ONLY ONE PER DAY
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 08:45:41 AM by The Gilly »

Oliver

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2005, 08:56:22 AM »

So that would imply that all rivers have a one fish limit on hatch fish then?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2005, 11:34:04 AM »

(2) A person who, in a day, has caught and retained the daily quota for steelhead in a lake or stream shall cease fishing in that lake or stream for the rest of the day. SOR/2001-156, s. 13.Aggregate Daily Quotas

Aggregate Daily Quotas

57. No person shall catch and retain in a day from any lake or stream, more than

(a) six wild rainbow trout and hatchery rainbow trout, in the aggregate;

(b) one wild steelhead and hatchery steelhead, in the aggregate;

So, if (and this is a BIG IF) I should happen to catch a hatch Steel on the Vedder early in the morning, I could go and play C&R on any OTHER river system after that from what I understand.

Also, I still think you can fish steel 24/7 can't you?