Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scared stupid  (Read 4851 times)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Scared stupid
« on: January 13, 2005, 01:50:10 PM »

Since I'm stuck in Edmonton right now and can't go fishing I figured I'd share on of my more humorous stories from this season....

Back in december I was up in the chehalis canyon looking for early steelhead/late coho. We were fishing a remote pool when I decided that the water was low enough to continue upriver to the next hole. I told my brother and other fishing partner to catch up with me later. So I go up to the next spot and find that I can keep walking upriver for some ways. At one point I pass a rather large cave but don't really think too much of it.

Now you have to understand that I'm deep in the canyon and the cliffs go up around 200 feet on either side.

So I'm fishing away and eventually I hook a dark coho. As I'm fighting it a rock falls from the cliffs and splashes into the water. I don't really think too much of it becasue one, I'm fighting a fish and two the cliffs are constantly erroding. I continue to deal with the fish when another rock falls from above in the same spot. I'm like, ok, maybe the cliff is rather unstable, maybe I should back away a little. Then comes another rock, only this time it's a little closer. So I walk up a little more and by this point I've landed the fish and sent it on its way. I take another cast, meanwhile the rocks continue to fall only now they're getting closer....really close. At this point I'm starting to get weirded out. There's some physcopath up in the cliffs trying to hit me with a rock. So I book it out of there as fast as possible.

As I walk around the corner I find my brother, he's been throwing rocks to try to get my attention.

Stupid thing was, that the reason he didn't just walk up to where I was is because he didn't want to go infront of the scary cave.
Actions speak louder than words.

Oliver

Re: Scared stupid
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 03:34:27 PM »

Hey,  isnt that what brothers are for?

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 04:18:27 PM »

Maybe what he really wanted was your gear and a staged accident was spoiled. Hey - I'm just saying ...

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 04:30:10 PM »

Thats what happend to me on the cap! freaked me out so i just left as fast as i can.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 08:19:26 PM »

I'll bet it was old salmsquanch dropping rocks onto you.

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 08:39:13 PM »

I've heard some weird stories about that canyon. A few years ago I was hiking back down the canyon towards the parking lot after fishing for coho, it was just getting dark and I had this erie feeling that someone or something was following me down the trail. My pace quickened as I scurried down the hill to my old van and sat there while she warmed up waiting to hopefully see another angler maybe come to the parking lot area, but nobody else arrived and I was the last vehicle parked there. It kind of weirded me out.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 09:44:42 PM »

Big foot :o!!!!

Oliver

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 10:12:03 PM »

Its to bad UfishBC went out of comission. There were some good squatch stories about the Chehalis on there.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 09:08:49 AM »

If this was back in Dec. and before the 25th, I hope you returned his xmas present(s).  Or at least kept them for yourself.  Damn brothers.

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 10:37:49 PM »

Nice...did I ever tell my black tail/ elk story?

I was fishing teh Squamish early int he summer this year, because I head it got some chinooks. Well, I was the only one there, and there sure weren't any Chinooks. Anyways...I am WAY out on this bar, because the water was low...all by myself...it was beautiful. Anyways...my tackle box falls over (its about 5 feet behind me). So I turn around, and I am staring into the forward chest of a large animal. I am 6ft tall, and I am looking at not even- adam's apple-level of something big. So I freeze...because this thing had one hell of a rack on it. (no Squamish girl jokes). Anyways....it sniffed me a little (again...no Squamish girl jokes).....and then began munching away on a few loose power baits I had floating around my tackle box....then it kind of wandered around me for about 20 minutes. I just sat back and took in the show.  Awesome...not creepy....awesome....but thought I might share......

Now I have seen some of my cousin's elk, and I am pretty sure thats what it was..but some say it might have been a large black tail deer....either way...awesome
You don't make friends with salad.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 08:29:13 AM »

That big has to be an elk.  The hair colour should give it away also.  Good story Aquaboy24.