Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snow geese attacked by eagle.  (Read 2762 times)

arimaBOATER

Snow geese attacked by eagle.
« on: December 09, 2016, 07:55:56 PM »

In the afternoon I walked thru a flock of snow geese as they were in a field.
The birds  parted like the Red Sea. 1/2 went to the left & remainder to the right.
About 1/2 hour later returned walking the opposite way & just 15 yards from the flock they suddenly all took flight !
The first thought was " Why did they start to fly? Never tried to spook them or yell or whatever? "
Then saw flying from the west side of the field was an eagle.
The flock flew to the east & made a 180 degree turn.
The eagle zeroed in on a bird which tried it 's best to get away.
The eagle was getting very close & above it. ( within 3 feet )
Did not know if the kill was completed as my view was obscured.
Guess an eagle is just one of many dangers for these birds.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Snow geese attacked by eagle.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 11:01:20 PM »

Awesome nature in its finest form.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 11:54:06 PM »

Awesome nature in its finest form.

Indeed.  Nature in it's finest form in the neighbourhoods of the City of Richmond. Coyotes deer & plenty of raccoons I've seen here in the city but "thank God" no black bears or cougars. (Like in the back yards of North Van, Coquitlam etc....)
Was kinda cheering for the geese to make a full escape.
Last summer seen a crowd of 5 looking at the swampy area at the west end of River Rd at the Middle Arm across from the airport.
Went over & seen this big sucker beaver.
About a month & half later was at the same location & a beaver was walking across the road but this time heading to the river. One guy was patting it's backside as onlookers were taking photos. Who knows maybe the same beaver.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 12:21:28 AM »

About a month & half later was at the same location & a beaver was walking across the road but this time heading to the river. One guy was patting it's backside as onlookers were taking photos. Who knows maybe the same beaver.

Guy must be single. ;D

fishermanphil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 03:44:36 PM »

Was fishing Barnes Lk in the spring of this year (get the reaction time tuned and cob webs out) watching the hills and spring unfold. On the east side north end a couple of squatter geese have taken over an eagle nest. From the perspective that I have(as I lazily traverse the lake looking for the jerk to react to the jerk) an immature eagle wants to take back his right full home. No dice as the Gander is on him like a ?@t kid on a smarty. This entertainment lasted for the few days that we were there and then onto bigger fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 06:23:58 PM »

I've seen eagles feeding on snow geese in fields near Agassiz. Same area there was a large cotton wood with an eagle nest atop. The ground around the trunk was littered with duck wings and feathers. I saw an eagle take a duckling while fishing Whonnock Lake a couple of spring ago. Mamma duck put up quite a spirited defense but the eagle was quickly able to scatter her clutch and grab one.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.