Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caught my first salmon today.....  (Read 6116 times)

rhino

• Old Timer
Re: Caught my first salmon today.....
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 06:56:41 PM »

Ha ha, not flossing.

Details:

Hatchery Coho, about 3 lbs, 1/2 oz. silver croc w/ red stripe, 14lb mainline, 10 lb leader.

Credit goes to the stranger who said "slow your retrieve down just a little" then BAM! "Fish on!"

I caught another one, but I don't think it counts if the fish gets off the hook right as it gets to shore right?

I haven't been salmon fishing since I was 9 years old (where my one salmon got away). The spoon even had little teeth marks in it, just like on TV!

first salmon a COHO!! wow. that is fantastic! congratulations man!

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 07:03:21 PM »

Why would it matter? All we want is new people to get into this sport.
Who cares if you start out flossing, everyone develops their methods. Everyone's main goal at first is to catch fish.
After a while, catching so many fish gets boring, then you switch to float fishing. After a while that gets boring too, and you progress to spoon/fly, etc.

I don't get why so many people make a big fuss over flossing, seems to start a debate in every thread even when the thread isn't related.
As long as they are fishing legally and keeping fish that are only snagged in the mouth who cares. FN and commies in the salt take way more fish.

And to be honest, I don't think there is a more "efficient" way, just maybe more "ethical" ways. I could out fish myself 10 to 1 if I were flossing somewhere.

Congrats mko, hopefully the first of many to come!

Cheers,
Dan

way to sing it brother!. i totally agree with you.

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 09:01:37 PM »

I'm still waiting for my first salmon.
Someone was here

Bandit420

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 10:02:46 PM »

Has anyone got some tips for playing salmon?

the first one came off right as I got it to shore and I THINK it was because I let tension off the line so the second time around, I made a point of keeping the rod tip up and had success.

Any other tips?

Depends, if youre fishing for coho or any salmon or steelhead I like to play them and tire them out a little bit before getting them to shore. Salmon will feel the shore and will go buck if they are not tired enough. All wild fish which dont have retention should be kept in the water and not beached and released with care. But if you know its a hatchery amd id'd the fish correctly, tire it out and beach it. Coho are squirly so trying to horse them in is not the best idea. They will start death rolling and pop you off really fast.
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

mko72

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 10:22:48 PM »

Depends, if youre fishing for coho or any salmon or steelhead I like to play them and tire them out a little bit before getting them to shore. Salmon will feel the shore and will go buck if they are not tired enough. All wild fish which dont have retention should be kept in the water and not beached and released with care. But if you know its a hatchery amd id'd the fish correctly, tire it out and beach it. Coho are squirly so trying to horse them in is not the best idea. They will start death rolling and pop you off really fast.

I am so excited for the fall.  Totally hooked on Salmon fishing.

I can eyeball a steelhead from quite far away.  Is there a trick to identifying hatchery vs. wild coho from the shore so you don't harm a wild one?  Or is the trick to get it close to shore and try to ID it quickly in shallow water?  Is it easy to spot the adipose fin?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:44:24 PM by mko72 »

Bandit420

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 11:00:58 PM »

I am so excited for the fall.  Totally hooked on Salmon fishing.

I can eyeball a steelhead from quite far away.  Is there a trick to identifying hatchery vs. wild coho from the shore so you don't harm a wild one?  Or is the trick to get it close to shore and try to ID it quickly in shallow water?  Is it easy to spot the adipose fin?

Yes thats the trick. Get the fish close to shore but deep enough that the fish is not rubbing on the rocks. If you cant spot the adipose fin or cant tell amd the fish is tired, keep it in the water and get a firm grip on the tail and check. Its good to have waders so you can get in the water with the fish.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:02:30 PM by Bandit420 »
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

gmachine19

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 06:27:01 PM »

You forgot 1 important thing. Pictures!!
You should've been here yesterday!