Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly lines ?????  (Read 2467 times)

oddjob

• woof woof
Fly lines ?????
« on: August 16, 2012, 03:38:04 PM »

How can I tell what fly line from another . eg. floating , sinking tip , sinking . I have several lines on reels and I don't remember what is what . Is there any way to tell .

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
Re: Fly lines ?????
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 05:45:48 PM »

Lol, is this a serious post?

Floating will float, sinking will sink, sink tip only the first several feet will sink.

Floating are also generally brighter in colour (i.e. neon: orange, green, yellow) whereas sinking lines tend to be darker shades (dark: green, brown, etc.) but there are clear lines in both styles I believe.

Do some testing and label them if it's going to be a problem remembering.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 08:41:09 PM »

If I were a seasoned fly fisherman like you I would not have any need to ask a question , however I am new to this style of fishing and yet I have never caught a single fish with the fly rods I have .

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 09:24:27 PM »

--once you figure out which is which... most fly lines have a peel of sticker on the spool they come on.. I peel this of and stick it on the inside of my spool where it will not rub.. especially on a casset style spool.
--some lines come with imprinted numbers.
--don't worry.... this happens to so called experts when they put gear away or haven't used it for a long time and can't remember what was on the spool.
--most companies do have lighter colours for floating line... but just to throw me off one company made a sinking line same colour as another companies floating line... I found this out when I was about 500 miles from home thinking I had a dry line with me. Luckily it was a slow sink so was still able to get a fly to float a bit before sinking... it actually workd out well.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 10:33:53 PM »

If I were a seasoned fly fisherman like you I would not have any need to ask a question , however I am new to this style of fishing and yet I have never caught a single fish with the fly rods I have .

Lol, sorry man, it just seemed strange to me that someone who owns so many different lines has not fished them before. This "seasoned" fly guy has only ever owned three ;)

Seemed easy enough to test out as well; just take them to a bath tub, pool, or nearby pond.

As far as labelling goes, once figured out you may want to carry around a "cheat sheet;"
- dark green + orange backing on Dragonfly reel = fast sink
- yellow + green backing on silver reel = sink tip

Tight lines!
A rig out of water catches no fish.

blackskull

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 02:42:26 PM »

If you don't have the original line spools that came with the line to store your lines, you could just free spool the line, secure each line with some twist ties and store each line in a zip lock bag.  Label the zip lock bag with the brand, model, type, and weight of the line.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 10:40:26 AM »

Dry lines will be bright clours as already stated: yellow, orange, bright green....however some lines like the Rio outbound will be a two tone like yellow fly line body with bright green floating shooting head..etc. there is a company that makes a fully clear floating line which is very new to the market so im sure you dont have one of these yet  ;)

Sink tip line will be a bright colour throughout the fly lines body with a very dark (black usually) tip of somewhere around 13feet long, these tips can really vary in sink rate and yes they do make ones with a clear sink tip usualy labeled as a "ghost tip" or something like that

sinking lines are primarily dark in colour (usually a very dark green) these can var in sink rate as well so to find the sink rate you need to put it in water and time how fast it sinks in seconds per inch. then just google around and you should be able to figure out what type sink rates you have. there is also clear or camo sinking lines, i havent seen any of these listed as faster than an intermediate sink rate (2-3inches per second) but then again i havent shopped for another clear sink line in years however i do try to keep up with the current stuff going on.

hope that bit of info helps you
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/