Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boat for Georgia straight  (Read 4762 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Boat for Georgia straight
« on: September 25, 2005, 01:53:01 AM »

What's the min. boat size recommanded for Georgia Straight? Which marina would you recommand?
Thank you

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Boat for Georgia straight
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 10:02:13 AM »

On most days just a 12 foot tin is ok. I have a 14.5 foot fiberglass with a 30 and only the odd day i cant go out.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 02:06:23 AM »

How wide is your fibreglass boat?

tyee slayer

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 05:09:04 PM »

dont leave sight of land unless your at least 20 ft, the weather can change to fast
Once a "Slayer" but have grown to appreciate and practice the art of catch and release

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 07:59:00 PM »

20 ft. minimum.

i've gone out in a 14 ft. aluminum from sewel's to the cap mouth, tried to cross the inlet to 2nd beach. STUPID MOVE. NEVER AGAIN. got half way then the waves got big, then to top it off, i got caught in a rift followed by the wake of a cruise ship. needless to say, i turned back. took over an hour to get back to the shallows of ambleside. :-[

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 11:58:00 AM »

What horse power would you recommand?

Straight Runner

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 10:35:22 PM »

Optimum horse power depends on boat size, and wallet size. My old, narrow 1980 16' Double Eagle with 70 HP has more than enough power but is a far too tipsy for most peoples liking, and too small for more than two adults to fish comfortably. The plus side to the narrow hull is excellent fuel economy, but it is very tippy. The new Double Eagles are probably much wider. If you are going to fish a lot, you should consider the gas cost. The other thing I would think about next time is a 4 stroke so I don't have the oil reek. I tend to run the old dog oil rich because I want to make sure it is well lube'd, so maybe I get more smoke than most, but the 2 stroke smoke can be annoying sometimes.

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 11:41:15 PM »

I run a 2003 19 1/2 foot Legend it has an 8 foot beam fairly stable i take it to the west coast of the island and do fine you need to know water conditions before going out ie. Tides ,Winds etc. I thought my boat was safe untill one day i was heading out to fish cap area when all of a sudden we were in serious trouble. Under the lions gate bridge there were waves coming from all directions 12 footers cresting the bow sides stern, scarry 15 min we were helplessly trying to get to shore we made it but i gained a hole new respect for the water and mother nature. It was calm when we neared the bridge and i started to lower the down rigger when buddie yells were in trouble i told him to keep it straight and not get sideways in the turbulance he did just that if he did't we would have capsized be careful out there regardless what boat your in. I belive these waves were called standing waves it was right at the start of tide change never want to experience this again.