Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What brand of O/B Motor, you think is the best?

Merc
- 7 (41.2%)
Yamaha
- 4 (23.5%)
Chrysler
- 0 (0%)
Honda
- 3 (17.6%)
Others
- 3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Favourite O/B Motor  (Read 3114 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Favourite O/B Motor
« on: September 28, 2005, 12:10:14 PM »

What brand of O/B Motor, you think is the best? Why?

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Re: Favourite O/B Motor
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 12:48:44 PM »

That would ALL depend on what size you're looking at IMHO.

I've run the big salt-water Merc's for years, and quite like them. Loads of power, low maintenance, and superb Warrenty. For 150 HP and up, that is the way I would go.

For smaller, either Yamaha or Honda's lines of 4-strokes are Fantatsic! So for applications 100 HP and under, it would depend on the pricing on equivilent engines between these two options.

Have an intense dislike of OMC and Evinrudes myself. Blew up a few of them, and will never own one again (sure, easy to pull apart and work on, but just as easy to fly apart IMHO).

Have no experience with Chrysler...

Cheers,
Nog

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 01:11:29 PM »

anything with a propeller.

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 02:18:33 PM »

I have been running a 2003 115hp four stroke Mercury since new it has lots of hours on it only maintainece needed to date is a couple of oil changes . Never missed a beat strong motor great fuel economy . Just an example of the economy camped up at Adams lake for 7 days we fished took kids tubing explored this hudge lake on the way home stoped to fuel up could only get $40.00 bucks in the tank. Reliable, Economical, Quiet, Smooth this motor has been great. Another example left the marina in Port Renfrew ran an hour up the coast to Nitnat lake trolled all day ran back to Renfrew and only burned $20.00 bucks the motor ran over 12 hours on $20.00  thats economical.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 02:24:23 PM by legend »

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 02:55:33 PM »

I got an old johnson 20 and it is still running strong
weeeeeeeeeow!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 03:51:25 PM »

Our family had a 10Hp merc on a gregor 12' alum.  It was greeeat!  Then dad lent the boat out and it flew off his friends trailer...OUCH!  We had that motor for a number of years, it was reliable.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 05:44:41 PM »

Well..let's just say that what one owner thinks is fantastic is one thing...based on how he uses the motor.

Capital cost of the motor up front is one thing, and maintainance as well, as well as service availability.

Merc's blow the others out of the water, and I have seen Yamaha's blow up faster than Mercs...not that it is scientific..but most lodges are running Mercs...

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint