Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oh no it's broken :(  (Read 12305 times)

koifish

Oh no it's broken :(
« on: September 22, 2013, 11:45:36 PM »

Broke my bloody lamson konic I was reeling a fish in and the spool came off lol so I couldn't even reel it in a nice guy pulled my line in for me as I was holding the rod
I don't know
How the spool came off just all of a sudden popped off
So I clipped it toghther the drag wouldn't work I tighten it still drag super loose it's going in warranty I guess.
 but I don't know how the drag would fail anybody else have this problem before?

koifish

Re: Oh no it's broken :(
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 07:11:01 AM »

Anybody know where I can get it fixed locally ?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 07:30:04 AM »

Take it back to where you bought (Fred's) if it is broken they should replace it as you've only had it a short time. otherwise they should ship it to Lamson for you. Ask if they can loan you something in the meantime.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

koifish

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 08:48:12 AM »

Unfortunately I bought it in Portland i think I will ship it my self to lamson

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 04:35:43 PM »

do you remember Fly Fishing Magician mentioning in another thread about paying attention to the Gland Cap on the Lamson reels because it does have a tendency to pop loose ???

Here is what he said -

My other reel for my switch rod is a Lamson Guru 3.5.  I like the Lamsons, and the price for a Guru will be around the $250 range which will be in the upper range of the OP's budget.  Stratocaster has a Lamson Konic for his 6 wt switch rod, and I know he likes it.  The Konic will be less expensive than the Guru.  I would give the Lamson Guru a thumbs up.  Fully machined, and saltwater protected.  The Konic is not machined (it's casted), but it is saltwater protected as well.  The only thing I found is you have to periodically check the "gland cap" inside the reel.  Both Stratocaster and I had an unpleasant experience of our spools falling out because the gland cap became loose over time.  Now I just check the cap and ensure it is screwed in "tight by hand pressure" every time before I use the reel, and have had no issues.  Lamsons also carry a lifetime warranty, and I found their customer service to be quite good (they sent me a new gland cap, no questions asked, for my Velocity).  I also like the look of the Lamsons.  Modern reels with a classic look and feel...

Im pretty sure you were a part of thread I pulled this from (not 100% sure) and would have been good for you to remember this bit of info when you went ahead and bought a reel knowing it could have this minor issue  ;)

as long as you haven't lost any parts then you should be able to fix it yourself. If not then take it into Michael & Young. they sell the reels and should know how to do repairs on them.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 04:57:26 PM »

do you remember Fly Fishing Magician mentioning in another thread about paying attention to the Gland Cap on the Lamson reels because it does have a tendency to pop loose ???

Here is what he said -

My other reel for my switch rod is a Lamson Guru 3.5.  I like the Lamsons, and the price for a Guru will be around the $250 range which will be in the upper range of the OP's budget.  Stratocaster has a Lamson Konic for his 6 wt switch rod, and I know he likes it.  The Konic will be less expensive than the Guru.  I would give the Lamson Guru a thumbs up.  Fully machined, and saltwater protected.  The Konic is not machined (it's casted), but it is saltwater protected as well.  The only thing I found is you have to periodically check the "gland cap" inside the reel.  Both Stratocaster and I had an unpleasant experience of our spools falling out because the gland cap became loose over time.  Now I just check the cap and ensure it is screwed in "tight by hand pressure" every time before I use the reel, and have had no issues.  Lamsons also carry a lifetime warranty, and I found their customer service to be quite good (they sent me a new gland cap, no questions asked, for my Velocity).  I also like the look of the Lamsons.  Modern reels with a classic look and feel...

Im pretty sure you were a part of thread I pulled this from (not 100% sure) and would have been good for you to remember this bit of info when you went ahead and bought a reel knowing it could have this minor issue  ;)

as long as you haven't lost any parts then you should be able to fix it yourself. If not then take it into Michael & Young. they sell the reels and should know how to do repairs on them.

Thanks Hook.  Yes - I was going to mention this one.  Check to see if your gland cap came off and is now "stuck" to the spool.  If this is the case, you will have to carefully screw the gland cap back in (try lining it up and turning it with the spool - it worked for us by reeling in line, causing the cap to screw back in).  Once the cap is back in (don't worry about tightening it yet), you should be able to pop the spool off like usual.  Then you will have access to the cap so you can re-tighten it by hand.  However, before you do this, take the cap back off and inspect the inside to ensure the clutch is sitting back in place.  Refer to your Lamson Konic instructions.  Hopefully you didn't lose the clutch on the water when your spool came off.   :-\

Sorry - this is hard to explain using text.  Good luck!!!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 05:09:27 PM »

You can try calling Lamson as well to see if there is anything like this that needs attention.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

koifish

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 09:45:53 PM »

I do not know if I dropped any parts
The gland cap which one is that? I need to google a lamson konic break down but I doubt I will find anything lol

koifish

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 09:48:47 PM »

HOLY cupcakes IM HOPING NOTHING FELL OFF MAYBE THEY WILL BE NICE AND FIX IT
honestly it was not my fault at all I had a fish all of a sudden tension loose would not tighten
Spool came off I will tell them what happend and then can fix

koifish

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 09:50:43 PM »

I will add some pics of the reel

koifish

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 10:02:59 PM »

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b537/Joshua_Lingam/EAB2EDD8-4593-4EA8-94E3-E2CB07196D90-883-00000058046EAE21_zpsdbfb6bc7.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b537/Joshua_Lingam/2BE0EE8A-1C6A-4D9D-BC13-46839DA66FD8-883-00000057DCEFE39A_zpsfa60f21c.jpg

There's the cap but nothing else is there I don't think nothing fell how does the pic look like.v

How much are the clutch? Should I send it in for warranty or get it repaird locally?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:12:16 PM by koifish »

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 07:53:39 AM »

I don't see the clutch in your photos.  Looks like your missing the clutch?  The gland cap is the black cap sitting on the inside of your reel frame.  The clutch goes into the reel axle, then the gland cap secures it in.  The clutch in my Guru is red.  Contact Lamson, explain the problem, and they should give you a new clutch.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 05:24:34 PM »

Forgot to include this link - Lamson reel maintenance instructions with pictures of the gland cap and clutch assembly.

http://waterworks-lamson.com/wp-content/uploads/care.pdf

As I indicated above, contact the warranty department from Lamson and explain your situation.  I wouldn't be surprised if they shipped you a new clutch.  I've included a link to the Lamson website that should point you in the right direction:

http://waterworks-lamson.com/contact-us/

Good Luck!

koifish

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 08:07:19 PM »

Thanks man they said send the reel in and it will be fixed so I might ship it or give it to mikes reel repaid