Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Entry level Center pins  (Read 3776 times)

Sylus

Entry level Center pins
« on: October 03, 2011, 08:27:29 PM »

Hey i was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as for an affordable enrty level center-pin set-up, any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers Sylus
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

brysonk

Re: Entry level Center pins
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 08:44:11 PM »

A good entry level reel is the okuma aventa for around 200 bucks after that you could step up to an islander steelheader for more dollars. I have the okuma and it works fine for me.  I am using a fenwick hmx mooching rod and it has done well for me and was only 100 bucks. Trophy makes an entry level pin rod too. Admundson has an 11'6" pin rod that feels really nice and sells for around 120 bucks. Your other option is to buy used and maybe stretch your dollar a little more.

Juiceboxluver

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 08:47:23 PM »

if u dont wanna spend $200 i got a Trophy Winter Run for $130 bucks used only once shes all loaded with backing n 15lb maxima if interested mail me workatredlemon@gmail.com

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 10:45:31 PM »

i got an okuma aventa and really like it and casts easily 150ft or further with little weight, and spins with the best of em. an for my rod i have an amundonson 11'6  pin/mooching rod which is a great rod for steelhea and hoes and gave a good scrap with the pinks.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 11:43:08 PM »

I also have an aventa, bought it from searing for $179. They sell it for more but get them to price match the online price if you're going to buy it. I love the reel although the clicker knob is a tad annoying, it's nicer having the clicker lever like the islanders, silex, milliners have. I use a trophy XL rod which is great too

**sea-run fly and tackle shop - that's what I get from posting with an iPhone ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 08:58:34 AM by fishunter »

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 12:08:41 PM »

Rather than buying a new entry level centerpin reel, I would recommend buying a used decent reel instead. A nice condition Grice & Young Avon reel can usually be found for around $150 and would be a better reel than an okuma or trophy.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 03:18:55 PM »

Agree, old school is the way to go if you are on a budget, many of those reels have been around since the 50's and are still going strong.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 03:32:46 PM »

Another vote for the Avon.
Trophy Xl are great rods for the money.

azafai

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 03:46:36 PM »

check this: http://www.ramblingfisherman.com/2011/01/torphy-xl-royale-rod-temple-fork-outfitters-3113-centerpin-rod-and-an-okuma-aventa-vt1002-reviews/
but remember Trophy XL Royal is garbage.  breaks like a peace of.... in many pieces.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 03:49:59 PM by azafai »