Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: looking for peg leg alternatives...  (Read 6111 times)

T

looking for peg leg alternatives...
« on: August 17, 2011, 12:25:22 PM »

I don't expect people to spill their beans...please PM me...

Thinking of heading out this Sat, just don't like the crowds...last year I was on the river with a sturgeon outfit and I noticed nice beaches with fewer people, not sure how to get there though...

Thanks,  ;)

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
Re: looking for peg leg alternatives...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 03:55:48 PM »

scale bar is your best bet but its very crowded and your gonna need waders. Just park at the scale on the side of the highway in hope and follow the trail down.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 05:35:54 PM »

If you don't like crowds, you'd be well off to get some native friends or own a boat  ::)

katfish

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 05:40:45 PM »

scale bar is your best bet but its very crowded and your gonna need waders. Just park at the scale on the side of the highway in hope and follow the trail down.

scale bar not a good choice if your want to avoid crowds

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:05:01 PM »

ya may as well have just said peg leg, he's looking for LESS crowded bars......

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 10:34:11 PM »

opps i just said scale because of how crowded pegleg is when accesable.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 09:56:52 AM »

How is the water level for launching a boat at Peg right now?  Is there boat-access bar to fish there right now?

T

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 01:24:02 PM »

I read about Old Orchard road, is that any good?

Dorian

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 01:35:06 PM »

i too was thinking of heading towards hope/chilliwack area early saturday in hope of getting some spring/sockeye action, but still not decided on the location... whoever i phone or ask everyone is sayin scale bar or peg leg... its like theres only 2 bars in that whole area ...

plz share some info with your fellow angler ... :)

D

ICA

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 02:44:29 PM »

Hey Dorian,
I totally understand your frustration in trying to extract some helpful info for your fishing; If you are looking for somewhere accessible without a boat, I am afraid you will need to contend with crowd and the scale bar is a good bet. Sometimes the crowd might appear intimidating, but if you practice some etiquette and politeness, most times you will get a chance to be slotted into the line. Just don't barge into a spot when it is already tight quarters. At the same time, you need to be somewhat assertive, and disregard some nasty comments that might come your way..stay cool and always polite and you will get in. If the crowd is really bad, just sit and watch and wait for the opportunity to be slotted in because people do leave at various times. Of course if you want a sure spot, then sacrifice some sleep and be there way before dawn and you'll be okay; you can't have it both ways when the sockeye season is on. I am sure there are others who can add to this to help you more, but this is only my humble contribution.

T

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 01:31:31 PM »

I ended up at pegleg...and to my surprise there was only a handful there...the bar to the left had opened up nicelely...prime spot...but not a fish hooked in the 3 hours I was there this morning...one idiot went swimming though...causing another angler to try and rescue him...luckily the boats heard our screams can come over to fish them out... :o

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 01:49:47 PM »

Dorian

http://www.anglingbc.com/index.cfm/page/187/map.html

There is a map for you.

Did you ever think of buying one of the books about Fraser River bars?

Have you tried www.google.com to aid in your search of fishing spots?  It includes a search and even free maps.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 02:05:10 PM »

I don't expect people to spill their beans...please PM me...

Thinking of heading out this Sat, just don't like the crowds...last year I was on the river with a sturgeon outfit and I noticed nice beaches with fewer people, not sure how to get there though...

Thanks,  ;)
Not being rude but like many of us you need to do some leg work to find spots to fish. Another good source is your local tackle shop, start a good relation with one and they'll be more than helpful.
It's worth the time and gas to drive both sides of the Fraser,#7 and #1 and just look for the parking lots on the sides of the road. Weekends and evenings are best for this kind of reconnaissance.

Spend some computer time to look back into the archives of fishing forums for pink years and peak salmon years of the species you want to target. You'll find tons of info on the when,where,and how, and what to use from people.

Follow the saltwater fishing reports locally. What happens in the salt is not to far away from happening in the fraser and its tribs.
The more info you can find on your own the more of an understanding you'll have about your quarry. It's very satisfying to turn all the research into a good spot to fish and get fish on the beach.

Happy hunting and good luck
It ain't the roe bro'

Dorian

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 02:08:15 PM »

i found a bunch of bars online and on fishchilliwack.com but going alone at 5am and exploring is not really my idea of a fun day :)

ive been to chilliwack only once or twice, 10 years ago , so thats why i asked for advice

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 02:18:23 PM »

Hire a guide.