Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 144163 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Well the rain of last night as had its effect on the Chilliwack Vedder, in the Lower anyway as in one word it is Mud, at this time.

The only ones out there would be those long lining etc. or looking for floats like I did this am, found a few but someone beat me to the hotspot. ??? ::) Found one Maple Leaf DNE. ;D

Very windy at the present but no rain.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 09:41:12 PM by Rodney »

milo

• Old Timer

Well the rain of last night as had its effect on the Chilliwack Vedder, in the Lower anyway as in one word it is Mud, at this time.

Finally!
The river has risen considerably! :)

This is what I was hoping for. Now my favourite coho holes will almost certainly get the push of eager fly smashers! ;D

Tomas

Does it mean that spring and chum fishing is no good?

Tomas
---
Tomas

ffonly

• the truth is out there...

6" - 8" visibility pretty much everywhere but right up high it's a bit better , although there are probably 50+ guys up there too. Left at 4 and didn't really see any improvement and with more rain predicted it's probably going to get worse overnight.
There is a tall church across the street from the statue

with crosses, steeples, bells and a vast door that looks like

a huge mousehole, perhaps from a Tom and Jerry cartoon,

and written above the door is "Per L'Universo."

Around five o'clock in the afternoon of my cover for

Trout Fishing in America, people gather in the park across

the street from the church and they are hungry.

It's sandwich time for the poor.

But they cannot cross the street until the signal is given.

Then they all run across the street to the church and get

their sandwiches that are wrapped in newspaper.

Froodogga

Yes, about 8" of clarity from what I saw too today.  Probably need 48 hours to clear up to get back to decent conditions...Hopefully this rain will bring in some fresh and "hungry" fish.

Tomas

Question from salmon rookie: is there any chance to catch salmon under current conditions?

Tomas
---
Tomas

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Question from salmon rookie: is there any chance to catch salmon under current conditions?

Tomas
It is very tough and most fish that are taken in such conditions are not biting as they can not see your offering. No rain now so maybe it will be fishable by morning. :-\

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Tomas
It is very tough and most fish that are taken in such conditions are not biting as they can not see your offering. No rain now so maybe it will be fishable by morning. :-\

They're sense of smell is better than humans. I bet when we see 8" of vis, the fish see a lot more than that. So to say that they "didn't bite" is a little naive.
Gosh sometimes I have a tough time making them bite when we have perfect water conditions. ;D ;D Does wool have smell as a good number of people you see out there in these low visibility condition are using it? I also have found when you try fishing the Fraser with a large spinning glow with under a foot of visibility your success rate is very low.

Of course fishing is a lifetime learning process as well I was taught a lot of things and observations from  from The Master and maybe we have missed something here in the past. :-\

I appreciate your statements. It gives me an excuse to go and try fishing today. ;D ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer

Fish the edges  ;)

You could always switch to the method that froces the fish to bite  ;D  I don't think anyone would mind since everyone is doing it. If you can't beat em' join em' right  ;)

labmik

How is the king fishing?  Are they present in good numbers?

Nitram4891

I have been reading this thread for a while now.  I will be in town this weekend and fishing on Saturday.  Hopefully the condidtions will be ok then. Thanks for all the information which is a lot of help to a salmon rookie, keep it coming!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

How are water clarity conditions this beautiful sunny Wednesday morning?
Very nice, I will post about the trip under fishing reports later. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

labmik

Sweet nectar!  You gotta love that!