Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 144161 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Raining a little harder now so conditions tomorrow on teh Chilliwack Vedder will be a toss up for those seeking biting fish.

I have to put up elections signs tomorrow morning so I am sure it will be raining cats and dogs, no not chums. ???

CohoKiller5

Ill be out there tomorrow morning to see if i can get me a fresh coho.   Got some roe curred up now so that should help maybe.

I think i will start down near cottonwood and see what happens.  Maybe make my way up to wilson later in the day if nothing produces farther down river.

WIsh me luck!

Still looking out for chris!  would love to meet him one of these days and get some tips!! ill watch out for you on the river. 

Im a big guy 6'3  brown waters, black vest...  Big mop of curly black/brown hair with a black baseball cap.  Say Hi if any of you see me out on the river tomorrow!  Ill probably be out sunday as well if the conditions stay fair.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

4:30 am, Saturday morning. Just checked outside and it appears not too much rain overnight but saying that it could have rained harder up in the watershed so not sure of the conditions. If you come up and it is too dirty you can always go to Cookies for breakfast and wait for it to clear up. ;D ;D
As a foot note I see the gauge at Vedder Crossing has jumped a little overnight.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Condition were good this morning and I fished The Bell for 15 minutes, had one chance but missed it. Wandered up to The Diving board and only saw one chum on the beach and a fish was hooked by an angler tossing a blade but it was not hooked inside the mouth, it was released.

Light showers on and off this morning as we were busy putting up election signs for my friend who is running for council in the upcoming  City of Chilliwack Election, watch for it as you enter Chilliwack on Hwy #1 Eastbound. ;D ;D

Oops should not be electioneering here. :-\

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

6:00 pm, raining very hard, going to check river now and will check back in a hour or so.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Visited the Canal area shortly before 6:30 and water conditions were very good but the West wind and driving rain had driven most anglers off the water. Picked up 4 Maple Leaf Drennans and a dozen foam floats in a log jam. ;D

Was very pleased to see the gravel bar at KWB hardly had hardly any garbage on it when I made a quick trip to it however a few careless people are throwing out debris where they park their vehicles. They must learn if they continue to do this we will loose our dyke access. If you are out there pick some up as it helps.

Just as darkness was closing in I went up to the Diving Board and it was almost clear of any garbage. ;D Signs of a number of fish being taken there as I observed that a number had been cleaned around the run. I found a roll of spider thread in a riffle below the DBR so that made the trip worth while. ;D Conditions were still good when I left at 7:15.

Hard to say what conditions will be like tomorrow but the rain has now stopped and some stars are shinning at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 09:02:48 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Just got back from the river and it was up about 4 inches but conditions were great. ;D

A little more detailed report under Fishing Reports.

luvnlife

Fished the upper portion last Sunday. Had a great afternoon, landed three in total and my son kept his first spring (25lber) so we were pretty happy. As we were cleaning it a nice sized black bear came on the opposite side of the river to check us out It was nice to be so close (30 yards or so), yet have a fast moving river between us!  ;)

My youngest (6 yr old) was thrilled to see a bear so close. Came back late Monday afternoon and the bear returned around the same time... not too often I put the rod down and just watch! I'll post some pictures later.

Happy fishing.

DeeAngler

Left the river at 5pm and it was in great shape.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Conditions good today and fishing was even better with the biggest ------------ ever,  ;D ;D more under Oct. 6 fishing reports.

We are getting rain now so tomorrow?

coyote spooner

I was on the river on friday and say a large black bear.  I was just up from the ranger run and the bear came out on the opposite side.  About 2 minutes before the bear emerged, there was 2 guys standing in the exact spot the bear came out of the bushes. :o  Too close for comfort.

luvnlife

Fished the upper portion last Sunday. Had a great afternoon, landed three in total and my son kept his first spring (25lber) so we were pretty happy. As we were cleaning it a nice sized black bear came on the opposite side of the river to check us out It was nice to be so close (30 yards or so), yet have a fast moving river between us!  ;)

With a name like luvnlife you must enjoy life. You should be more bear aware because a "nice sized black bear" can very easily cross the chilliwack river and eat more than fish if it chooses.

Without being there and seeing the situation I can appreciate a comment like that, however I am very bear aware and am a hunter who fully respects and knows what they are capable of... with that said, the bear was on the other side of a very deep pool with fast moving water above and beyond, he would have had to go 100+ yards in either direction to even find a spot he 'might' be able to cross, all of which I was watching for. If there was any danger at any time, I'd have my kids out of there in a heartbeat. This was a great opportunity to enjoy mother nature up close, but very, very safely. Thanks for the concern though, it seemed genuine. :)

bigsnag

• Old Timer

I saw bear tracks in the sand just below Ranger 2 Saturdays ago. They were as wide as my out stretch hand. Maybe it was this bear?
It ain't the roe bro'

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I saw bear tracks in the sand just below Ranger 2 Saturdays ago. They were as wide as my out stretch hand. Maybe it was this bear?
Most likely a Sasquatch. ;D ;D ;D

Fairly heavy rain here now.

luvnlife

That's what it was... thanks. I was wondering...  ;)