Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: 2008 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 144172 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Next trip out I am going to lower the Maple Leaf Drennan a bit by adding a clincher weight so I will be a split second quicker on the strike.

What it a clincher weight, Chris? ???
Google, Fishing Clincher Weight, you should be able to find a better description that I can give. ;D

celt

Great to hear that the river system is in fine shape, in a couple of week’s time I will be visiting Chilliwack once again on a two week fishing trip.
My last visit was in October 2006, I had a fantastic couple of weeks fishing then and just can’t wait to wet a line in this fine river once again. 
During this trip I will be visiting the Lillooet river for a couple of days fly fishing, any tips as to the fly patterns to have to hand. 

milo

• Old Timer

Next trip out I am going to lower the Maple Leaf Drennan a bit by adding a clincher weight so I will be a split second quicker on the strike.

What it a clincher weight, Chris? ???
Google, Fishing Clincher Weight, you should be able to find a better description that I can give. ;D

I tried Google, but came back empty. :(
Please try to explain...puhhhlease.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer

Oval shaped with a groove in midline, top and bottom end has a lead 'flap' which you can close up.  This allows adding/removing the slider type weight in the same manner as splitshot.

milo

• Old Timer

Oval shaped with a groove in midline, top and bottom end has a lead 'flap' which you can close up.  This allows adding/removing the slider type weight in the same manner as splitshot.

Thanks, BwiBwi! :)
I know exactly what you are talking about. I have seen them in tackle stores, but didn't think I could have a use for them.
I have even seen some with rubber flaps.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Thanks for your discription for Milo. Also Milo I donot like the ones with rubber flaps as much as the others. When you put the clinchers on do one or two wraps before you close the flaps as they stay on a bit better and do not slide.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Conditions great today again but the bite was not like yesterday, only had two takes and landed a coho jack and a chinook jack that was only 8 inches long.

Snagging going on full tilt everywhere including a fellow who brought a chinook down into our run which we happly told him that it was snagged in the cheek so he knew he had to release it.
However back he went to the run he was at with his 7 feet of float line when he should be at 3 and in no time another fish on but this time he did not bring it down our way, bonk.

Paid the FOC office a visit and they have lots of undercover work going on, hence lots of tickets being issued. ;D

Also paid the abutment hole a visit, not too pleasant a sight, cleaned up the garbage, put it on a fire pit that people must start every morning, I was too lazy to pack it out for them this time.

Hope river holds as tomorrow should be good to make up for the lack of bites today.

bigsnag

• Old Timer

I've heard them referred to as "Dog earred weights" because the end flaps resemble ears. You could also try Rubber core sinkers,cylindrical in shape with a groove in the centre that has a rubber core with nubs at each end. they come in a variety of sizes. You lay the mono in the groove and twist the nubs to secure the weight onto the line. Reverse the process to remove the weight. They work great in place of forceps for stillwater fishing for trout and are cheaper to replace when the forceps fall off the fly.
It ain't the roe bro'

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Conditions great, catching was not. ;D

buck

Chris
   Wrong Technique.

Every Day

• Old Timer

Chris
   Wrong Technique.

;D Beako Be Gone...  I got skunked for the first time since the 13th of September today  :'(  Fishing has been slowing down a lot in the last week from a multi fish day every day, to now where I am considering myself lucky to even hook one  :-\  We need rain, problem is, with the rain the slide will slump making the river unfishable till it is this low again anyways

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard

water was murky tonight, not alot of hook ups between me and a friend. Managed to hook and lose 3 coho on blades :-\

fisheries

Rain isnt the problem, theres plenty of water flowing for fish to move.

Fish may move more when it's raining.  Hopefully we don't get washed out this weekend though.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Chris
   Wrong Technique.
Changed technique today and success came easily , ;D  ;D the only problem was, Rodney caught it on video. ;D ;D ;D That meant I had to buy him, Nina and Terry lunch at Cookies in an attempt to keep it off the net. ;D ;D

Conditions were a little more colored today as Rodney said another slump slipped off the slide at the Ranger yesterday. Light rain started at noon but has stopped at the moment.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

A very enjoyable day on the river with conditions perfect with some color from the slide. The day was made more enjoyable fishing next to Whitedevil  from this forum. We had the whole run to ourselves as most others were at the popular spots. ;D

I will write a little more detailed report on fishing reports.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16