Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: 2008 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 144154 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Water conditions were perfect once again today. Terry and I hit the river with great anticipation at first light but I only missed one fish in 2 hours of fishing, the first trip in 4 that I was skunked but it was a great morning, crisp with a great sunrise over the mountains,

One run we fished had fish rising every where. the chinooks most like males fighting over some females and that drew their interest from our roe. ;D

The trip after to Cookies made us quickly forget our fishless outing. Tomorrow I will get them. ;D ;D

waterboy

Fished both the lower and upper river today, with excellent water conditions throughout.  Not much in the way of fish on the lower river but, hooked and landed and nice 18 lb spring jack on the upper river.  First one of the year!!  Hopefully the incoming rain won`t wash us out again....

mmmroe

18lb spring jack  ???  ??? adult maybe  ;)

tooler91

Is the upper end of the Chilliwack still closed at the Limit Hole? I read an update to the regs stating they had closed a large section to ensure hatchery retention.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Is the upper end of the Chilliwack still closed at the Limit Hole? I read an update to the regs stating they had closed a large section to ensure hatchery retention.

I drove by there yesterday afternoon and there was one vehicle in the parking lot. There were about 5 guys fishing approximately couple of hundred yards below the signs.

tooler91

Thanks for the update. I am headed up to fish the Chilliwack for a few days starting tomorrow. Love that river.
Any new info on teh smash and grabs going on with vehicles? I read a post 2 weeks ago talking about the vandalism going on.
Nothing is sacred anymore.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

Anyone caught breaking into vehicles will be deal with, vigilanty style! ;)    So with all the rain we're expecting tonight/tomorrow will the vedder be fishable tomorrow?    How much does a day of rain affect the clarity? 

In previous years it actually made the river a little better but with this new clay slide at the old ranger run you better hope it does not rain as much as they say it is going to as the water will most likely be 0 vis.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Every Day

• Old Timer

Been a while since I posted, Ill help ya guys out a bit.

It has been raining constantly since Monday here in Chilliwack, we have gotten tons of rain and the Vedder has stayed in very good shape. IMO it is too clear even, it is hard to get the fish to bite as they seem to be getting spooked. Try fishing under lots of cover (like chop, overhanging trees, etc). The river has not coloured at all since the rains, and I dont think this next rain will affect it too much at all. It is possible that maybe the slide has stabalized, or the water could be building up in a "pool" in the slide and when a wall gives out, look out  :-[

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard

I was checked upper river today by a fisheries officer today. I was just gearing up at my truck getting ready to head to the river and he pulled up lights ablazin... Good to see them out there. First time I've EVER been checked for my License.

On a side note, water level remains low and clear. Took a Hatchery doe on a blade ;D

CohoKiller5

I live in cultus and have been watching the cars parked on the side of the road on my way to work/returning home from work.

I will be out there this weekend to try and get my first coho of the year.  Hopefully the clay slide at ranger stays there and the fishing is good.  Ill settle for a nice female chinook/chum.  I need the roe.  The meat can always be smoked. mmmmmm

Wish me luck!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Conditions excellent again today. I lost a chiinook on my second cast after about 30 seconds. I had numerous bites after that but could not hook them, maybe some were smolts or was I too slow on the hook set? Chinook and chum surfacing everywhere. Finally I hook another but it is a big chum, hooked in the side. Of course it takes off so I just straight line it and I loose everything including my Maple Leaf DNE float. Disgusted I pack up and go home.

Tomorrow I will return armed with a Maple Leaf Drennan, sorry Daniel. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Conditions today were once again beautiful but I got a late start. A fair number of anglers around so I did a little exploring and was pleased to find a drennan, a DNE and a few standard ones.

I also had a good number of bites even though I did not start fishing until after 7 but I landed two clipped coho jacks and a chinook about 12 pounds that gave a good tussle and jumped a few times to add to the thrill of a having a fish on.

The fairly bright hen was pleased to  be returned to the river and most likely will not be tricked into taking bait again but may fall to another method further up river. ::)

Ran into kingpin, his brothers and dad who were out as part of a family celebration as the kinger turns 19 tomorrow. ;D ;D ;D Happy birthday to you.

A downside for them on their outing was one of the boys had his gas tank drained by some beak. I was glad the Leaf Mobile tank was nearly empty or she could have been violated too.

I have a locking gas cap but had not locked it but I will now, it sure is disappointing to see break ins and now this when we are out trying to enjoy a days fishing. One day these individuals will be caught by the wrong person.

Good fishing to those now behind their desks at work and looking forward to get out this weekend. The fish are there put please give the fish a sporting chance when angling for them, you know what I mean. 

Also try to help out at the cleanup on Sunday as we have a Jewell of a river, lets look after her.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Conditions were just great this morning and I had many many chances but missed most as the takes were very light. Next trip out I am going to lower the Maple Leaf Drennan a bit by adding a clincher weight so I will be a split second quicker on the strike.

I was able to land 3 clipped coho jacks as did the Master and I alkso picked up a chinook jack.
The number of coho jacks around is encouraging for next year.
Was a pleasure to met Ghost Fish on the flow this morning.

It was disappointing once again this morning to see so so many people striking at the end of every drift and long lining, so sad fishing has come to this.

Nick and I hauled a rubber mattress off the river bed, cut it in half to get it across the river.
We ended out trip as usual, at Cookies. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

When is a good time time to target chinook at the Vedder?  Do they enter the river in such low water conditions?
The water in the Chilliwack Vedder is seldom if ever too low for a fish to move through the system.

milo

• Old Timer

Next trip out I am going to lower the Maple Leaf Drennan a bit by adding a clincher weight so I will be a split second quicker on the strike.

What it a clincher weight, Chris? ???
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16