Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shirimp Bags ?????  (Read 1949 times)

oddjob

• woof woof
Shirimp Bags ?????
« on: October 28, 2006, 11:55:56 AM »

Have left over cocktail shirimp from yesterdays dinner ,can I make shirimp bags like roe bags ? Will they work like roe bags ?

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: Shirimp Bags ?????
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 12:05:59 PM »

Yes, you can definitly make shrimp bags. Salmon and steelhead love em.

My question is, why do you want to bag em? Are they really mushy or something. I usually just pro-cure cocktail shrimp, then slide em onto my hook, give them a few wraps of spider thread and fish away.
Actions speak louder than words.

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 02:24:46 PM »

the shirimp are not mushy but are very small .If I pro cure them I still cannot put them on the hook. If I were to make shirimp bags they would stay on the hook better and yet I could sent them after I put them on the hook .

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 02:42:22 PM »

Do the shrimp that you use , have to be raw are can they be the , ones you buy pre cooked in stores... ?
crab cakes

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 02:58:28 PM »

Do the shrimp that you use , have to be raw are can they be the , ones you buy pre cooked in stores... ?

Both works

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 03:08:23 PM »

so , what do you do to the shrimp just throw them on as is.. ?
crab cakes

allwaysfishin

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 04:37:17 PM »

shrimp bags will work well if they are the small shrimp. use peach spawn net to maintain natural colour. Cooked shrimp are better because they last more than a few hours before they go bad. Warning to all who use shrimp/prawns ect. handling these critters raw can give you a bad dose of illness if you handle them then say eat lunch .... wash your hands after handling them raw especially if it has been several hours since they thawed. I have used shrimp bags with some success, i tie them in dime sized bags then i put them in a small sealable container and douse them in either mikes shrimp/prawn scent or the procure scent equivalent (not the same as procure dye) these products come in small 2 ounce bottles.
Add some pickling/coarse salt to help preserve the finished product.

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 07:01:19 PM »

cocktail shrimp works great for steelhead. attach with spider thread. my rig usually has a corkie and some wool as well.

I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!