Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Luna 203 is a good reel; here is a detailed field test  (Read 3901 times)

norm_2

Luna 203 is a good reel; here is a detailed field test
« on: October 26, 2006, 09:46:31 AM »

There are few detailed equipment reports so hopefully you will find this one useful.

To put things in perspective, I have used a Calcutta 400, an Abu 6500 and an Abu 5500.

Does the Luna cast far?  Short answer yes.  Long answer; Thickrick and I were fishing on the Squamish.  We were using 11 ft rods and 15 lb line.  For those who don’t know Rick, he is a body-builder and has 100 lbs more muscle than me.  Fishing slowed so I decided to see how far the Luna could cast.  It was farther than I thought.  Then Rick gave it a try with his Calcutta 251.  I played with the magnetic control and some of my casts were farther than Rick’s.  Interestingly, I took my thumb off the spool completely during the whole cast and there was no birdnest.

Drag is better than the original Calcutta and the drag adjustment range seems good but I am having a hard time learning the 8lb leader vs. 12 lb settings..  Drag is strong.  Operates very smoothly.  Construction is solid, equal to the Calcutta.  The thumb depress lever is much lighter than the Calcutta (although the Calcutta is a few years older now).  The line capacity is 10% higher than the Calcutta 200.

Negatives are:  Cost; according to the internet, the Luna is slightly more than the Calcutta 200 but much less than the Calcutta TE.  The Luna is heavy.  The 203 weighs 1oz more than an Abu 5500 and almost as much as an original Calcutta 400, which is a larger reel.  The retrieve is a little slow but probably similar to a Calcutta 200.  I had a tough time catching up to a coho which shot from the far side of the river to my side (I lost it) and it is slow picking up the line after a cast.  I don’t like how the side plate is screwed on.  It came loose on the river and the line got between the spool and body.  For those who have one, back off the spool tension completely, screw the side plate on tight, then adjust the spool tension.  I check it before each trip.

In conclusion, I am glad I bought a Luna 203 rather than a Calcutta 200.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
Re: Luna 203 is a good reel; here is a detailed field test
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 10:22:26 AM »

I own a millionaire CVZ (model luna replaces) and a couple Calcuttas. I agree with your review for the most part except that I like the gear ratio (retrieve speed) the way it is.  I would't want it any higher as this would provide less torque, I think the 5.1:1 is a happy medium.  I own a reel with a 6.3:1 gear ratio but I find it lacks torque.  The drag adjustment range on the Daiwa 300 (12lbs) is not as wide as the Calcutta  400 (17lbs) but I agree it is very smooth.  I like the design of the levelwind on the Daiwa over that of the Calcutta  I haven't had a problem with the sideplate that screws on but I have had a minor problem with the handle side plate coming loose with use which causes a clicking sound when reeling.  I brought it into Mike's and he showed me how to tighten the two small screws one of which is located inside the sideplate on the opposite side of the handle and the other is located on the spool side of the handle side plate.  How light of lures is your 203 able to cast?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 08:05:52 PM by Eagleye »

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 10:42:56 AM »

i own a luna 253 and it is good

first time casting using baitcast ever in my life i had a birdnest but i started to avoid birdnest after 2 hours

luna is very easy to use and smooth and good for a newbie like me
hardware == fish

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 12:42:12 PM »

first time casting using baitcast ever in my life i had a birdnest but i started to avoid birdnest after 2 hours

you got a few nests ;D ;D ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 01:09:02 PM »

you got a few nests ;D ;D ;D

imagine what life would be for you if i were using a different reel !
hardware == fish

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 01:07:28 AM »

I've used both Daiwa Luna and the Zillion.  Since Luna has been covered I'll talk about the Zillion a little bit.  Firstly, it's a low-profile reel with 6.3:1 retrieve ratio which is good for times like now. (alot of casting not a whole lot of playing fish).  Fast retrieve and easy to cast.  Apart from regular tention adjustment it comes with anti-backlash adjustment.  This really helps when lobbing.  I use 15lb mainline which I got about 120yards and at a weight shy of 9oz it's not labouring when you're fishing the whole day.  Other then these, it's good looking and the metallic finish feels good.

norm_2

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 09:12:25 AM »

Eagleye, the only spoon I used was probably 1/2 oz and it did not cast very well.  I suspect it was due to the 15lb line I was using for chum.  It is only my second outing so I have not tried a lighter line.

BwiBwi, thank you for bring up a different reel and describing it for us.  Is the Zillion as good a reel as the Luna for smoothness, drag, apparent durability, etc?  A low profile reel is an interesting thought and is a reel I don't have.  I will think about and maybe start a low profile reel topic when my cash flow is positive.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 09:43:19 AM »

Smoothness and durability is comparable to that of Luna.  Drag isn't as much as Luna though.  However, I have caught 30lb spring with it. So I would say it is suffice.  One thing about the drag, it is smooth.  When fish pulls line out, it's not jerky, so when a fish suddenly change direction and bolted out you won't loose it.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 12:15:33 PM »

If you want the best drag (smoothness and pressure), you can't beat the Calcutta TE.  However, I won't bring mine out to the river.  I like to set my rod down from time to time and take a picture, take a leak, help someone land their fish or eat lunch or what ever.  I can't always watch it like a hawk.  An unattended $350 reel is an attractive gem to a theif.  I feel a lot better doing that to my Abu C4 6601 (2006 version).  I paid 74.00 US each for them.  They are pleanty smooth; I can cast a mile with them and have enough drag to land a large spring.  I can cast a 1\4 oz spinner with them also.  I can beat them hard for 6 or 7 years then replace them without braking the bank.