Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whats the right way  (Read 2717 times)

lakebait

• I am a genius!
Whats the right way
« on: October 26, 2006, 08:06:10 AM »

So, being new to fishing on the vedder, I have done some research o this site.

I read about "beeks" "flossers", "Long Leaders" and "Rippers"

Not wanting to be one of these, but instead wanting to be regarded as a good and fair fisherman, can someone explain the accepted, "fair" and sportsmanlike way to fish the vedder?
Golfers golf their IQ. A golfer in the 70's can't do anything else!

I am a Genius!

JackFunk

• Miskatonic U. Alumnus
Re: Whats the right way
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 11:22:50 AM »

Some other Vedder Tips:

- Have a quick review on how to identify the various salmon, and to identify hatchery vs wild. Be aware of regulations re: gear, limits, etc, and follow them (no cheating!).

- When approaching a crowded spot, take a few minutes to observe the scene, and try to find yourself a spot where you can give the other guys a little room. Usually best to start at the end of the row of anglers and work your way up or down as people leave. Don't just shove in between guys.

- When another angler is playing a fish in the run or pool, remove your line from the water and hold off on casting to avoid snagging lines.

- Please don't make deliberate attempts to snag fish, this is illegal, and can cause mortal wounds to the fish.

- Treat all fish with respect, they are living creatures. Make sure to play, land, and release/or bonk your fish in a careful manner, not dragging them up on the sand and rocks and booting them back in the water.

- Never leave your refuse behind at the river, take an extra garbage bag and do a little cleanup in your area.

- Use extreme caution when wading, no fish is worth dying for...

- Don't leave valuables in your car at the Vedder, break-ins are common.

- If you see illegal fishing, report it to the DFO report hotline.

- Relax, put a smile on your face for those you meet, a friendly word and smile can go a long way in fostering goodwill on the river. Lend a hand to those in need, sometimes it's simple like tying a knot, or showing how to cast etc... Remember, fishing should be fun!  8)

Ribwart

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 11:37:21 AM »

Nicely put Jackfunk...

Lakebait, you might also do a search on short floating or check out the article on short floating on the FWR.com mainpage...
Good luck,
rib

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 12:03:53 PM »

I was out on wednesday I could not believe how many people out there that would fish 4 to 5 feet of water with 6 to 7 feet between float and weight and a 4 to 5 foot leader. They where from top to bottom of the river. Of course the bottom end was the worst. My brother ask me why where they getting into so many fish compared to us and I explained to him( loud enough for some of them to hear me ) that they where flossing these fish. I told him to watch what the ratio was between fouled hooked and hooked in the mouth. It was around 80 to 90%. I then explained to him that that is not actually fishing and that that is not actually a sport. Any one can catch fish that way but only those that practice the short floating technique will catch just as many fish. And that said practice makes perfect.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 12:11:29 PM »

So, being new to fishing on the vedder, I have done some research o this site.

I read about "beeks" "flossers", "Long Leaders" and "Rippers"

Not wanting to be one of these, but instead wanting to be regarded as a good and fair fisherman, can someone explain the accepted, "fair" and sportsmanlike way to fish the vedder?
We hope to put on another fishing clinic in the near future like the one fisherforever organized a week ago. Watch for it on FWR.

kermode58

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 10:19:57 PM »

And something I have often regarded as the best advice I have ever received for free. I believe its' author is a director of the bcfdf
(ethics is what you do when NOBODY is watching) live by that and you will do just fine
HERE fishy,fishy,fishy
HERE fishy,fishy,fishy