Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adipose clipped whites on the Vedder  (Read 1886 times)

PaulyD

Adipose clipped whites on the Vedder
« on: October 16, 2006, 11:45:23 PM »

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered any hatchery clipped whites while fishing the vedder ..?? Caught one today and the meat was more pink than the rest of the whites this year , surprised me when i saw the adipose gone at first i thought i caught the record coho as her spots were barely visible , first clipped white for me , i also caught the cleanest chum ive ever seen at the ched ,a nice doe ocean bright with no bars or color yet  . not a bad day at all to skip out from work !!! any info apreciated on these clipped whites

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Adipose clipped whites on the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 11:49:35 PM »

Send in the head of your adipose clipped chinook for a chance to win. More info:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Tagging/salmonhead_e.htm

PaulyD

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 12:17:07 AM »

My buddy told me to send in the head too i thought he was kidding , how would you send a head anyways ? I already buried the head in the garden with the rest of the fish do you think its worth it to dig up the grave ?? The whole thing sounds kinda creepy sending heads and that what if the guys italian who gets it and i wake up with a horse head in my bed lol j/k .....thanks for the reply

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 12:35:40 AM »

Most sports shops are head recover depots and have the tags there to fill out to put on the head. The shops will take the head and store it in their fridge for a FOC pick up later. Good prizes, that I have won 3 times, the last a nice rod reel combo.

Moon is shinning now, a good time to go out and dig it up but watch for the ghosts of fish past that you have planted in your garden.They may sweep you into their grave. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 12:37:11 AM by chris gadsden »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 01:45:50 AM »

I already caught one of those this year, the meat is a pinky-white. But the fish tastes great ;D Had me believing it was a coho.
The Bigger The Better!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 11:15:02 AM »

Rodney we need a barn fire.  Chris is starting to tell Holloween jokes..  :D ;D

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 05:32:05 PM »

Ive hit 3 myself, and seen to other landed by friends. I bonked on and it was copletley red. and the other a released. But the other 2 I saw killed were whites. ???

buck

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 09:16:51 PM »

PaulyD 

Each spring Chilliwack hatchery staff mark 200,000 white chinook juveniles which are releases mid May into the Chilliwack river. These adipose  clipped fish are quite common and may have varying degrees of meat colour, pale white to bright red. Marked fish are used to determine survival rates and migration locations for the stock. Adipose clipped fish have a coded wire tag in their nose which can be removed and the code read to determine where that fish was tagged, time of release, diet study,  etc.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 09:57:20 PM »

So ladies and gentlemen please turn in your head so hatchery staff can study them.