Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis Lake closed indefinitely  (Read 3457 times)

clownfish

Chehalis Lake closed indefinitely
« on: October 30, 2008, 11:59:06 AM »

As I had not seen or heard anything, anywhere, about Chehalis Lake since the slide last year, for quite some time, yesterday I emailed the Ministry of Forests and Range, Chilliwack District, asking if they could provide any info. I got a response earlier this morning asking me to phone the gentleman that responded. Below is a partial quote from his email.

"At this time we have no plans to reopen the Chehalis Lake Recreation Sites.  The slide area is still too unstable to allow us to let people into the area and especially onto the lake itself.  I believe the sites may remain closed for several years or until we can be certain that another slide event is not likely to occur."

Apparently there is still some really large (office building sized) and unstable boulders, that are likely come down. The roads have been gated and trenched at certain locations and the area is posted as off limits to the public. It is illegal to enter the posted area, this is for everones safety. If you've seen any pictures of the damage the slide caused, you can understand why.  http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dck/Topics/Chehalis_Lake/Chehalis_Lake_Index.html

They will continue to monitor the area, but it looks like it will definitely be some time before we'll have access.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Chehalis Lake closed indefinitely
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 12:36:55 PM »

Well that's a shame but Thanks for letting us know. 8)