Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yellow Fins on Coho?  (Read 3736 times)

Chehalis_Steel

Yellow Fins on Coho?
« on: November 11, 2014, 10:08:25 PM »

Ok so I was fly fishing for coho with my dad a while back and I got what looked like a smaller hatch doe maybe 2.5lbs. Weird thing was that this fish had yellow fins. Ive never seen that on a coho before, compared it to the bigger buck my dad got which had much darker green/blueish fins.  Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 11:09:45 PM by Chehalis_Steel »

Clarki Hunter

Re: Yellow Fins on Coho?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 11:27:30 PM »

Yellow fins says to me that you got a sweet 2.5lbs Cutthroat  :)

Chehalis_Steel

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 12:32:23 PM »

Yellow fins says to me that you got a sweet 2.5lbs Cutthroat  :)

Yea that was what I was thinking but hatchery clipped? I thought they only stocked Coho in most systems? Kind of feel bad for keeping it if it was a cutty, even though it wasn't a wild fish and it tasted better than the bigger fish we got.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 12:39:07 PM »

Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC is responsible for stocking hatchery-marked cutthroat trout in the Fraser Valley. Broodstocks are collected during this time of the year and offsprings are raised at the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery in Abbotsford. Most of the fish are stocked in the Harrison and Stave River watersheds.

There's nothing wrong with retaining a hatchery-marked cutthroat trout for consumption as that's what they are intended for. If regional biologists determine that retention of hatchery-marked cutthroat trout is low, which may result in dominating the wild population, then anglers can expect reduction of hatchery production.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:41:14 PM by Rodney »