Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carp in Como Lake?  (Read 7636 times)

HKSR

Carp in Como Lake?
« on: June 10, 2013, 02:29:17 PM »

Are there actually carp in Como Lake?  I've read that there's supposed to be some decent sized ones in there, but I've yet to actually hear any first hand experience that someone has actually pulled a carp outta there.  Have you guys seen it or experienced it first-hand?

zap brannigan

Re: Carp in Como Lake?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »

nowadays theres carp and bass everywhere.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 03:17:44 PM »

I have caught 2, one about 5 or 6 pounds on powerbait and I snagged one by accident with a spinner, this one was larger, maybe around 7, it was right after ice off so it didn't really fight much despite being hooked in the fin. Short but shaped like a football.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 04:04:10 PM »

Yep there are carp in Como Lake. Have a chat with Steve at First Light Fishing and Tackle in Burnaby if you need more information. He does quite a bit of carp fishing beside the usual salmon, trout and steelhead around here.

https://www.facebook.com/1stLightFishing

HKSR

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 04:29:01 PM »

I have caught 2, one about 5 or 6 pounds on powerbait and I snagged one by accident with a spinner, this one was larger, maybe around 7, it was right after ice off so it didn't really fight much despite being hooked in the fin. Short but shaped like a football.

Interesting!  Any particular powerbait that you used?  I've tried corn, but haven't had much success in lafarge or como.

joshuag232

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 04:57:15 PM »

I reccomend dew worms. I've always had the most success with natural baits when coarse fishing. Also, it stays on the hook really well.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 05:14:18 PM »

When I was a kid I used to fish for carp in como lake. I would fish from shore using a light weight pencil float and corn. Evenings worked well and only like 15 to 20 feet from shore. Although the number of carp in that lake have dropped drastically over the years. You used to be able to catch tons of little ones and if you were patient and knew the spots away from the little ones you could get some decent sized carp.

Lafarge has some big ones in there. I have seen them cruising the shallows as recently as last month. I havent seen evidence of carp in como for years now.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 06:23:27 PM »

I have been to Como several times in the evenings with my dad when I was a little kid to fish for carp, never even had a bite. Lafarge on the other hand has a very large population that don't seem too shy. I've never gear fished for them so I don't know if the weights or anything would spook them. Coming in behind the people that feed the ducks with bread as the carp move in to get the left overs after the ducks are gone has proved to be the best time as long as the area isn't too busy. Throwing bread flies over top of them is your best bet in this situation. If you find a school and they aren't really feeding, dropping a small back or brown nymph in front of their faces or making them chase a small olive, black or brown leech can stir up a few chasers. These fish a great fighters and can sure be way more fun than those stocked trout, just remember to have a lot of backing!

HKSR

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 06:34:08 PM »

So would you guys say fishing closer to shore is more effective when it comes to carp?

X-timber-X

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 09:02:52 PM »

Personally I think I would start at the far end of the lake where all the grass and mud is .. homemade dough balls ..  I make them with a recipe i got off the net ... It took a few different recipes before one worked for me... Believe it or not curry powder is one of the ingredients , The darn fish have good taste IMO..lol 

X-timber-X

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 09:09:40 PM »

I have never tried for them in Como , but I live about 5 blocks away.  If you ever wanna go wet a line in there some afternoon and try our luck,  Im down .  Just send me a message anytime. Ill bring the dough you bring the corn, we could both bring the beers  :) 

HKSR

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 10:01:11 PM »

I have never tried for them in Como , but I live about 5 blocks away.  If you ever wanna go wet a line in there some afternoon and try our luck,  Im down .  Just send me a message anytime. Ill bring the dough you bring the corn, we could both bring the beers  :)

Sounds good to me! :)  I ordered a proper bait needle and hair stops from the UK.  Once those come in, and I grab some boilies from Sea Run, I'll prob head back to Como for another try.  Gotta try Lafarge again too.  Once I figure this out, I'm gonna go and try hunting down the big boys in Burnaby/Deer Lake lol.