Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: totally nfr, where have all the birds gone??  (Read 2563 times)

nosey

totally nfr, where have all the birds gone??
« on: September 09, 2009, 07:42:59 AM »

I live well out in the sticks (16 kms. out of Hope) and usually go through about 80-100 lbs of sunflower seeds in a year in my bird feeders, filling them every three or four days at least, mid summer I let them go dry usually so the birds don't become too dependant on me . This spring there were only about half the birds we usually get and since I've refilled my feeders 3 weeks ago there have been absolutely none. I t is totally erie outside everything being almost silent, when talking to my neighbors who also feed the birds they are reporting the same phenomenon, I've been here over 30 years and have never witnessed anything like this before, generally we have all species of finches and song birds here and now there are none, even the bluejays are missing from my nut trees and absolutely nothing has been eating my grapes.  It's kinda like being in the beginning of a bad horror movie, i f any one else has noticed the same stuff happenning or has  a reasonable explanation please post here this is concerning to me.

fishherron

• DSC00434-001
Re: totally nfr, where have all the birds gone??
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 10:41:41 AM »

Ever heard of the" Silent Spring"?
Fish for all your worth but, remember what the fish are worth.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 04:25:32 PM »

Bird populations are much less than half their historical levels and no one gives a zhit.

http://www.birding.bc.ca/ a decent forum for fellow BC birders.

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 04:58:03 PM »

Loads of birds on my feeders here in Chilliwack.

Noel

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 08:42:26 AM »

Sometimes they find someone elses's feeder and like it more than yours. There's no loyalty among birds.
Also, if you have a hawk hanging in the area, the smaller birds will move on, or be eaten.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 10:29:34 AM »

I live well out in the sticks (16 kms. out of Hope) and usually go through about 80-100 lbs of sunflower seeds in a year in my bird feeders, filling them every three or four days at least, mid summer I let them go dry usually so the birds don't become too dependant on me . This spring there were only about half the birds we usually get and since I've refilled my feeders 3 weeks ago there have been absolutely none. I t is totally erie outside everything being almost silent, when talking to my neighbors who also feed the birds they are reporting the same phenomenon, I've been here over 30 years and have never witnessed anything like this before, generally we have all species of finches and song birds here and now there are none, even the bluejays are missing from my nut trees and absolutely nothing has been eating my grapes.  It's kinda like being in the beginning of a bad horror movie, i f any one else has noticed the same stuff happenning or has  a reasonable explanation please post here this is concerning to me.
They are all over at MY feeder ;)

The @#%&#* pine siskins are ALREADY back and I'm going through almost a full feeder every two days.  I estimate that I go through a 20lb bag of seeds every 2 months in the summer and almost monthly in the winter.

I just started feeding a year and a half ago, but I think my feeder has been published in the local "bird's guide to good cheap eats"

Has made for some good pics  - most recently this flicker who is parctically hoovering my seeds out of the feeder these days:

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 10:44:06 AM »

Great shot of the Flicker they are such a good looking bird but not easy to present in a photo format.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 11:04:57 AM »

Great shot of the Flicker they are such a good looking bird but not easy to present in a photo format.
Thanks Sam - they are seriously skittish birds.  This one finally jumped from feeder to the tree when I went to the door this time, so I could get a nice natural shot.  Usually it's some rooftop -> Feeder -> some other rooftop.  ::)