Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tragedy on the Cap  (Read 8275 times)

ColinB

Re: tragedy on the Cap
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 01:25:13 AM »

Well my wife just heard about this and is insisting that I get one of the those inflatable life jackets for the Cap. Probably not a bad idea. They're nice little units, but expensive from what I've heard.

If it saves your life it's certainly NOT expensive!

You could be saying your life isn't worth $150, think about it!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 07:47:42 AM »

I have two inflatable vests. One from the Boat show on sale for $140 and one from Crappy Tire for $99 on sale regularly $200. Just have to be thrift as a Scot, and like reading fliers to get the deals. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

ejeffrey

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 10:00:18 AM »

I'll keep my eyes open for a sale. Anything to watch out for in terms of quality?

Birdsnest

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 10:38:23 AM »

Really sad news. 

As a lousy swimmer, you won't catch me putting myself in positions of great risk.  No bungy jumping or mountain climbing for me, so ergo no russian roulette with fast rushing water.  I just don't fish those areas of the cap...

That being said, I don't believe in any closures.  They can post signs, give warnings, etc, but the rest is up to the individual.

Closing it down would be like closing down everest for climbing because too many people have died.  You just need to remind them of the risk level ( a few laminated newspaper clippings on the trail would help), and let them decide what level of risk they want to take.

I like the idea of clipping on a safety line.. If I'm fishing that stretch I would probably do that, combine some mountain climbing gear with fishing..  You don't need to go to the extent of a cable line to clip on, just a tree or boulders would be better than nothing.

Everyone stay safe this year... remember it's a hobby,  no danger pay.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2009, 11:19:29 AM »

"Anything to watch out for in terms of quality"

http://www.boatus.com/foundation/Findings/Inflatablepfd.htm

I bought the Mustang comfort coller and found the metal adjustment on the strap poked in my back in the pontoon seat :-\ SO much for comfort. The other was a Nautalus from canadian tire which is very simular to the Mustang. Might want to check this out.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Marine/LifejacketsPFDs/PRD~0791903P/Nautilus%2BManual%2BInflatable%2BPFD%252C%2BCamouflage.jsp

Also when using ropes for cliffs when fishing, they should be used as fall prevention/restaint. Meaning they don't let you get to the edge of the cliff. Otherwise you need to think about being rescued from hanging from the rope if you can't pull yourself up.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2009, 07:47:07 PM »

Sorry to hear the news,my best regard to his family.

Keener

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2009, 08:30:42 PM »

My condolences to the family. I just read about it and makes me think I should buy a life jacket just in case.

ejeffrey

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2009, 10:22:56 AM »

Thanks for the info troutbreath  ;D

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2009, 09:02:12 AM »

My friend spoke with SAR yesterday while fishing Cable Pool. The said the man slipped while casting and was thrashing around on the surface for a second. They guessed he had a shock reaction to the cold water and inhaled a bunch of water. He went under and then no one saw him till his body was found.