Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: All around fly setup - for the new guy - budget, $0  (Read 11843 times)

iRobertO

Re: All around fly setup - for the new guy - budget, $0
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 12:46:53 AM »

Update: I took the pawn shop advice. Went to the one where I know a guy and he doesn't work there anymore :(
They had two rods in total. One was $15 bucks and broken, but not a fly rod. The next was a fly rod with a $20 price tag. I haggled with the lady and ended up getting it for $8 inc tax. I'm sure that I probably paid what it's actual worth was, but I'm ok with that, because step one is complete for now (gotta have something to stick a reel onto).
The rod is a 8.5 foot, #7.. can't think of brand right now.

Next reel, then line, or both together if I can.

Rob

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 04:42:40 PM »

Four stars!!!!! Man! When you get your line make sure it is a 7wt too, so it matches your rod.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

cohojoe

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 04:58:17 PM »

where is this prawn shop.   If  I can find low cost rods like that ;  I would get them and  send them to my buddy' fishing lodge up counrty.    His guests are brutal on the lodge rods,  and wreck them fast.    So  a $ 20  fly rod would be just fine for one season.    Now where to find a $ 20  fly reel.

iRobertO

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 10:50:10 PM »

Cash converters in guildford. But like I said, they had 2 with one being busted. I suppose you just have to troll all the pawn shops.
And it was $8, not $20.. :)
Rob

iRobertO

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 10:57:37 PM »

Oh and I've been scouting craigslist.. I'm confident I'll find something there..
There's been a few '$80, take all my gear' with multiple rods and reels. I'm hoping to find one of those with just one reel that works and sell off the rest.
At least once im setup I can have some fun and upgrade piece by piece over time.

Rob

iRobertO

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 11:14:38 PM »

Still nothing for a reel.. Been checking craigslist and pawn shops..
I'm pretty eager, have been watching hours of fly casting videos on YouTube and really want to get into this!

Rob

iRobertO

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 01:33:59 AM »

I'm pretty sure Mel Krieger is my new favorite human being..
This guys awesome!

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 11:08:08 AM »

Check out Cabelas Three Forks fly reel.  I don't own one myself but they are on sale right now for 25 US plus shipping.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 10:32:20 PM »

Still nothing for a reel.. Been checking craigslist and pawn shops..
I'm pretty eager, have been watching hours of fly casting videos on YouTube and really want to get into this!

Rob

Hang in there they are out there. My last find was an old Hardy (in good shape) a month ago at a antique store in Kamloops $5.

iRobertO

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 12:33:30 AM »

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot about antique stores. Maybe I'll head out to New West on my way to work tomorrow. Any flea markets coming up that anyone knows about?

Rob

jimmywits

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 01:06:12 PM »

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot about antique stores. Maybe I'll head out to New West on my way to work tomorrow. Any flea markets coming up that anyone knows about?

Rob
There is a shop called popeye's in North Vancouver and they have lot's of used fishing equipment as well as every thing else you can think of used. Check out the salvation army thrift shops for used gear also, it's definatly out there it is just a matter of time.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 05:31:05 PM »

Flea markets can be good; sometimes, be prepared to barter hard. Like the garage sale folks, they know their market prices.

iRobertO

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 12:10:50 AM »

An unexpected turn of events....
So from time to time through my work I get offered some things. Today it was box seats to the Canucks game. Of course I think of my favorite fishing buddy first and invite him along.
When he arrives to pick me up, he has a surprise for me....
He's been into fly fishing for a bit. He originally bought some gear, hardly used it and immediately went out and bought more gear (much more expensive gear, he's like that)..
Since he knows I am trying to get setup for fly fishing (heavily inspired by him), he shows up to pick me up with a gift on his front seat.
It's an Amundson RM 7/8 reel with an additional spool. The reel has Cortland WF8S sinking line on it and the extra spool has WF 8 floating line on it!
I'm pretty pumped.
So I'm not entirely sure if the reel and line match the rod perfectly, but since writing the original post I have been chiseling away some funds, so if it doesn't work, I'll buy a rod and start the project over to get my son setup..
Anyways, a piece of me really wants to go out front right now and start practicing..
It all makes the Canucks losing 2 games tonight worth while! All you can eat sushi, ribs in beer was good too. :)

Rob

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 01:57:47 AM »

whereabouts are you located Rob ??

I might be available to help you with some pointers on casting, in person that is. I own several fly setups and could bring something along that may be easier to learn on  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

iRobertO

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 08:39:16 AM »

Thanks, but I'm gonna try the self taught method first.. (of course watching videos and asking questions doesn't count) :)

Rob