Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a newbie to the sport  (Read 3155 times)

Sebastien

a newbie to the sport
« on: July 26, 2008, 08:44:01 PM »

Hello to everyone on this board. I've been a lurker for a while now.

I moved to the Lower mainland a year and a half ago from ontario and have since taken up fly fishing. My background was with drift fishing for trout/salmon and small stream fishing with spinners and bait. Since moving here I decided I should take up fly fishing. Last summer was my frist summer and I caught a few smaller fish in small lakes locally. I have got my casting skills to the point where I feel comfortable. I am looking for advice however as I seem to catch very few fish and thier size is very small.\

Unfortunately I do not have a boat or a tube yet so am limited to shore fishing or wading streams and rivers. Is there any advice you would be willing to give me or can you recomend any good reading that might help me? Any advice on where to fish? I'm not really interested in the local stocked lakes, not my cup of tea. I'm more of a catch and release fisherman and I like to take in the beauty around me. I don't go out expecting to catch fish and find time in nature to be more rewarding than a full limit.

I'm also an avid offroader and like to go into the bush for fun. Any recomendations on where to fish on the Birk? I was there last weekend and checked things out, made a couple of casts but nothing serious as we were on a mini trip out to Lilloet for and over nighter. I would like to try the Skagit as well, and if someone is interested in joining along there may be an opening as my girl is not up to a fully fishing based trip.

Anyway, tight lines to all, and look forward to getting familiar with people on the board.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
Re: a newbie to the sport
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 05:54:36 PM »

I know you said you don't want to fish stocked lakes, but the sasamat lake has a nice floating dock that gives you the chance for a bunch of different types of fishing.  You could try chronomid fishing, streamers, or even dry flys (there is often a good caddis hatch I recall).  Very scenic, and a good place to learn a few tricks.

Of course, this time of year I am sure that dock is over-run by large chested women in small bikinis...  I guess there's another reason to go  ::)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 10:51:39 PM »

The Stave, Chehalis, and Vedder all have resident wild trout. Try short line nymphing with stonefly nymphs.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Sebastien

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:56:13 PM »

Thankyou. I appreciate it.

Min

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 09:14:33 PM »

Of course, this time of year I am sure that dock is over-run by large chested women in small bikinis...  I guess there's another reason to go

Would these be "natural", "wild", or "stocked"? :) ;)