Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River depth sounder question?  (Read 2774 times)

fullahead

River depth sounder question?
« on: October 29, 2004, 05:48:11 AM »

Could any one recommend a good depth sounder, for river use? I have a fourteen-foot boat; I want to use Island 22, grassy bar, Harrison River, and area. What sounder do you guys use that run the river all the time. I am running a propeller, and want to know when I have three feet under my boat.

Jimmy

Re: River depth sounder question?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 07:24:40 AM »

I use a eagle 128 $152.99 +Tax. The problem with using a depth sounder is that you will get the info by the time you are on the bar. So my trick is to set the warning alarm at 3.5 ft and as soon as that alarm goes off I kill the motor.

I find that once I got to running the boat in the river and got used to the area I was using my eyes much more that the sounder. But I haven't lost a prop yet!

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 11:56:19 AM »

Jimmy said it correct.  I have an eagle 128 ($129.95 ;D)(last year though).  You do not need to spend big bucks for a sounder in the river.  It's only 6-20ft in most places.  You don't need to read to 600ft.  Also, the bubbles follow the main channel.  Smooth water is danger.  If your travelling through water with a bit of a ripple and see smooth water, don't go there.  It will be a gravel bar about 6" deep (and they can come up fast).  Go to your local tackel store and buy the fraser river map.  It's not perfect, but it's a great help.

freddy2596

• I'm an my friend....
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 07:06:13 PM »

the best way to run a river with a sounder is go up stream first. that way when you kill the motor because the sounder reads two feet, the boat will stop and the current will push you back. on the Fraser, Harrison and Stave there is a srong current that will push you fast and right into the trouble and with out the use of the motor it is difficult to turn the boat.........

fullahead

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 10:37:45 PM »

Thanks for the information on the depth sounder fellows. The best way to get good information is to talk to the guys that run the river. Personally I have run a towboat in the Fraser for twenty years, and don’t want any problems, when out on my boat, and thanks again.