Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hook Choices  (Read 11568 times)

MERC

• Old Timer
Re: Hook Choices
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2004, 06:55:21 PM »

Personally, I prefer Gammies.  I think that they are the sharpest hooks and seem to hold their points the longest.  Read all the comments and the bottom line is still, buy the best you can afford.  Recently, I purchased 25 packs of size 2 hooks for $8.99.  That was a good price.  Normally, I'm paying in the 12-13 range.  Vision hooks are reasonably priced alternatives.  They do seem to be one size smaller than conventional hooks (ie: #4 Vision = #6 every other type of hook in size).  Birdman:  you don't need to buy the most expensive to enjoy fishing.  What's the point of going fishing if you're going to worry about how much each hook is going to cost you?  That kills the enjoyment.  Better to buy affordable hooks that won't break the bank and won't have you worrying about losing the odd one just because it's expensive.  Listen kid:  I've been driving a car for over 20 years and even though I don't own a Porsche...I still enjoy driving even if I'm driving a Chevy, a Ford, a Toyota or a Mazda.   Get the point? (pardon the pun). 
President Club S. C. & P.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2004, 09:55:49 PM »

For my hook of choices, i pick Owner- Cutting point for saltwater fishing (cut plugging), they are far better then Gammies. As for Fresh water drift fishing, Daiichi is the only hooks i use, make from high carbon steel, never had a single one bend.  Fly fishing, i use Temico or Terry Comb depends on the patten..   Like i always said, if you willing to pay $400 for the rod, $400 for the reel and a pair of $600 wader, might as well spend the extra bucks to buy better hooks.  Goodluck fishing
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 10:00:58 PM by Steelhead King »

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2004, 10:09:21 PM »

Hey Marco, what are "Owner-Cutting points" ?
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2004, 10:39:29 PM »

Owner cutting points are the sharpest hooks on the market. Better than Gammies in term of sharpness, but they are prohibitively expensive....$35 to $40 for roughly 50 hooks. I use them for steelhead, but never in snaggy areas!

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2004, 11:37:16 PM »

Hey buddy, do your math...LOL $40 for 50 hooks its only $0.80/ hook.  ;D ;D
i think babcock got them .

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2004, 11:20:42 AM »

You can get them at Berry's Bait and probably at Babcock's. Call around to find them. They also come in a small pack of 8 but it works out to 90 cents a hook.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2004, 11:43:51 AM »

For tying flies, I use Tiemco and Daiichi.  They have the sharpest and most durable points.

Agreed on the Tiemco.  Haven't tried Daiichi yet.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2004, 09:01:31 PM »

;)  Chalk up another one for short floating... A pack of gammies last a long time.  A float even longer cuze when it finally does get lost, it feels like you are losing a good friend.

Ah well, at least I know there is a good 90% chance CG will grab it someplace downstream and give it a home.  ;D ;D

I used to use Eagle claws though.  The black ones were brutal (cooked spagetti in stiff wind!! LOL!!) cuze their points would bend very easily.

I actually liked the bronze ones (#4 for coho, #1 steelhead/springs).  They were stronger and made a bit differently too.

On hook size, I found I generally went up a size from eagle claw unless the water is very clean. 
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2004, 10:17:29 PM »

Hook choices are determined by its cost for me.  Fished Eagles for ages with satisfied results due to the low cost factor.  Generally eagle hooks costs around 8 cents each.  The cost did however increased to 11 cents/hook a couple of years back due to the high exchange rates.  Gammies generally costs 6x more and therefor was not my choice.  Lately we were able to secure gammies @ 25 cents/hook which made it more attractive. :o

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2004, 10:22:29 PM »

$40 for 50 gammies? That's a rip-off. I am still using this pack of 100 #2 gammies that I bought for $26 last year. :)

I use my gammies for coho, steelhead. I have black #2 EC as backups or when I am fishing for chum.

Lately I have been finding gammies on the river bank. :o People must be getting richer these days...

funruh

• feeeesh
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2004, 11:24:22 PM »

Leave the gammies on the bank for me Rod.  BTW the Vision hooks are supposedly made in the same factory as Gammies.  They are a few dollars cheaper too.
Gammies = sharp and hard
Eagle Paw = bent points  ( i only use them for high loss areas)

Doesn't make a difference to me since I have been very Coho poor as of late.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2004, 11:51:48 PM »

I started with gammies way back, until those mighty chums of the Squamish straightened out most of my # 2 gammies.  Then I realized I was making too much contribution to the fishing tackle economy.   Nowadays my choice of hooks are based on the species of fish, the preciousness of each hook-up,  in the order of:
  steelhead      - gammies (particularly for my home-made blades)
  coho              - visions and tiemco (they are very sharp too)
  Fraser spring - visions (they have strong & sturdy shanks)
  sockeye         - eagle claws and what have you, even recycled hooks
  trout              - mustad fly hooks
I have used Owners but found it too pricy to be worth the benefits.