Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Vedder pinks, best presentation  (Read 11100 times)

dereke

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing Vedder pinks, best presentation
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 06:34:17 AM »

having the skill to target a specieies is most definatly a great ability, but isnt it about fishing?

That's where IMO you are wrong. Targeting a species and adding a challenge to the whole thing is what fishing is about. Pinks are boring kind of after while especially when they are in thick. I don't doubt the fight in the little guys but if there are coho around there is no doubt what would be targeted for me anyway. :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 09:54:17 AM by dereke »
always a student

Froodogga

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 08:42:38 AM »

Three silver ocean fresh pinks caught on Monday on a pink and purple jig...Friend also caught three silver ocean fresh pinks on the fly, using a beige muddler...

koko

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 10:48:53 AM »

In the old days, I remeber to break off the white spring just go after coho. As i get older I really learn to enjoy every fish that I fair caught. I hope bbronswyk you are wrong, when my boy is 35 years old, we can still have 40 to 50 fish day on the fly.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 11:44:02 AM »

In the old days, I remeber to break off the white spring just go after coho. As i get older I really learn to enjoy every fish that I fair caught. I hope bbronswyk you are wrong, when my boy is 35 years old, we can still have 40 to 50 fish day on the fly.

I hope I am wrong too and I can do the same with my children. At the very least I will still be able to enjoy some stillwater fishing with my kids when I am older.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

koko

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 12:40:19 PM »

I hope I am wrong too and I can do the same with my children. At the very least I will still be able to enjoy some stillwater fishing with my kids when I am older.
cheer, tight line.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 12:42:48 PM »

That's where IMO you are wrong. Targeting a species and adding a challenge to the whole thing is what fishing is about. Pinks are boring kind of after while especially when they are in thick. I don't doubt the fight in the little guys but if there are coho around there is no doubt what would be targeted for me anyway. :)

I apologize for being "wrong".

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 01:22:22 PM »

Aw cmon pinks are fun!  I agree with Mr Bbronswyk2000 that we are very privileged to be fishing for them - (or any Salmon species for that matter).  I have lived in a few countries and there is nothing to compare with this anywhere I have been so far.  [In the UK for instance, you would have to pay a fortune and for the most part this is only available to the Rich and privileged.]

We are very lucky and I can only hope we will still be able to fish for them for many generations to come.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 01:25:14 PM by fishseeker »

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 03:35:48 PM »

Haha sorry Rhino didn't mean to come across like that. For me it is about challenging myself everytime out and pushing what I can do. Yes me personally I am bored of pinks, I am not saying anyone enjoying the fun that they can be is wrong. Just one mans opinion and relating to my own personal situation.

cheers
Derek
always a student

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 04:15:20 PM »

Bobo - I wasnt saying that pinks suck or anything, I get excited to catch them every second year as they are a riot on a 5wt fly rod in the salt chuck  ;D I was just saying that im tired of catching them now and would like to just target some springs and coho now however those pinks are so thick that you cant avoid them sometimes ::) and yes i have actually been getting pinks since the 2nd weekend in July (was when i got my first this year) so its been more then 2 months for me  ;)

everyone else that wants to catch pinks, have at it because they are a fun little salmon but please if your going to keep them i dont want to see them in the bushes with the roe taken out and fish left behind  >:( >:( have seen this already this year and it drives me nuts.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 05:47:03 PM »

I have been enjoying the challenge of catching pinks (yes) by not going to the sure-catch spots (like upper river) or Vedder now, and by not timing with the tides much. Just go whenever there is an hour or two to spend after work. I caught my fair share of pinks but not enough sure kills to get 'bored' with it.  :D
Just didn't want to load up the freezer before the coho rush.  ;D  Only once I went out to the Surrey dock timed with the tide and came home loaded. But I don't eat that many pinks, so back to short odd-hour trips and enjoy the time at the fishing spots.

I also kind of made my own lures to get the kick out of catching pinks ,like using pink flower-pot plastic cut to shape like a pink plug taped with shinny tape and they nail pinks like crazy. The best thing is I can cut the plastic to the best size pink likes. One day I had 3 pinks in a row while others had few and the guys next to me were examining my home-made plugs.  :)
I do have tons of the standard stuffs like spoons, spinners and jigs, but it gives more satisfaction to catch them with your own creation.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 05:54:39 PM by Steelhawk »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 07:12:57 AM »

Bobo - I wasnt saying that pinks suck or anything, I get excited to catch them every second year as they are a riot on a 5wt fly rod in the salt chuck  ;D I was just saying that im tired of catching them now and would like to just target some springs and coho now however those pinks are so thick that you cant avoid them sometimes ::) and yes i have actually been getting pinks since the 2nd weekend in July (was when i got my first this year) so its been more then 2 months for me  ;)

everyone else that wants to catch pinks, have at it because they are a fun little salmon but please if your going to keep them i dont want to see them in the bushes with the roe taken out and fish left behind  >:( >:( have seen this already this year and it drives me nuts.

2nd week of July? I find that hard to believe. Their were no pinks in the Fraser or even near Fury Creek in the 2nd week of July. I also know it to be fact that the Island was not even really seeing them until the beginning of August so I dont know where you were catching them.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2009, 08:06:29 AM »

2nd week of July? I find that hard to believe. Their were no pinks in the Fraser or even near Fury Creek in the 2nd week of July. I also know it to be fact that the Island was not even really seeing them until the beginning of August so I dont know where you were catching them.
Oh I think you are wrong about Furry there buddy.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 09:12:27 AM by dereke »
always a student

Capilano Mano

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009, 01:36:37 PM »

2 months? So you were catching them on the 3rd week of July? Most here have not been fishing them that long as on the Fraser they really only last about 3 weeks.

You must be young. You certainly dont see my perspective...My oldest is 13 years old, when he is 35 years old like me I think he would be lucky to catch just a few pinks.

I love the coho fishing more than any of the other salmon species. The coho fishing can last into December. Still lots of time to catch these fish. Just dont like hearing about people taking things for granted.

Haha. Yes some of us have been catching them since July. In some areas of the lower mainland pinks show up very early compared to other runs such as the frasers. The schools aren't huge, but fun days can be had. Admittedly, my first pinks weren't until the end of the third week of July but many were catching them before me.

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2009, 03:21:37 PM »

Just went to the Vedder on tues and it seems a lot of the pinks are getting dark.  Has anyone been catching any nice crome fish in the Vedder or is the run basically complete and starting to spawn?  Just would like to get a couple more fresh fish before it is over.  I was near the area where the canal turns to more of a river.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2009, 04:13:21 PM »

Thanks for ringing in Dereke  ;D I may not have been getting numbers of them but i was hooking the odd one since then. its been steady pinks since like July 18th because i had to great weekend trips to Furry Creek before heading into the Squamish in August to have even more rediculous pink fun when my family was here for a visit. I sure do love those days when you can beach a couple hundred between a couple of you  ;D ;D

where did you get the info about no fish showing up at Furry that early Brian ? I was getting reports from Dereke (he lives out that way) and thats how i knew to start heading there that early however i would have gone anyways by the 3rd week like i did in '07  ;)

how about hearing this little fact that alot of the squamish fish were late and guys were still having good days(and i mean really good) on the beaches well into August....I mean until late august  :o in '07 im pretty sure they were basically done in the salt around there by mid august. things change from year to year which is the main reason why i dont write when i catch fish other then a basic beginning, mid or end of the month reference and location of course  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/