Fishing in British Columbia > Fishing-related Issues & News

The Future of the Vedder

(1/11) > >>

milo:
With all these reports about snagging, and after witnessing other poor fishing practices myself, I started thinking about what could be done to improve the situation on our beautiful LML jewel.
There has to be something that can be done to improve the situation, and make angling pleasurable for all of us.

Above are the things I have come up with, in no particular order of preference. I think all the options have their merits and demerits.
I would like to hear other ideas, and get some feedback on the choices I have offered.

Cheers,

Milo

For the record, I voted for the second option, as I believe making it a classified water would keep a lot of unethical fishers away.

Sam Salmon:
I voted for the third option because it would allow more anglers to enjoy the river-while I see you point about the classified option in the end the C/V system is just a garbage strewn canal not a jewel of a river like we have so many of up north-so it doesn't deserve that kind of attention.

milo:

--- Quote from: Sam Salmon on October 02, 2008, 09:53:33 AM ---I voted for the third option because it would allow more anglers to enjoy the river-while I see you point about the classified option in the end the C/V system is just a garbage strewn canal not a jewel of a river like we have so many of up north-so it doesn't deserve that kind of attention.

--- End quote ---

It's a matter of perception, Sam.
While I agree that the lower river is nothing to write home about, I think the Upper River and many parts of the Mid River are simply gorgeous.

Terry D:
Personally I think it is pointless bringing in more regs.  The good anglers will always fish responsibly and abide by a "code of conduct".  The selfish element will always disregard the rules and do what they want anyway, be it totally illegal or 'within' the rules.  What is really needed is more frequent and effective enforcement by fisheries officers. 

If anything I'd go with closing off small areas which are particularly hazardous to the fish.  If I go fishing and get a decent fish in the first 5 minutes, I don't want that to be my day's fishing over with.

Banny:
I think all of the options are not necessarily that great.  They all come down to enforcement, until that changes none of those changes will have as big of an impact as they should.  

Unfortunately with the third option the people will bonk a fish and just move to another spot on the river if they really want to keep fishing and not mark the fish.  I am not saying everyone would just blatantly break the law but it will happen, just as it happens with people double dipping in the fraser etc.  

One problem with the new printable licenses is the lack of control of marking springs and steelhead that you retain.  Even if someone recorded their fish, they cold just print another blank license at any time.

Just a few thoughts

Jordan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version