Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: rice lake frozen?  (Read 8431 times)

Chuck

Re: rice lake frozen?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 03:17:14 PM »

If you can get to Rice lake I'm sure you can get to a place that has reel fish potential.
Rice lake is for kids and pensioners who need protein other than cat food in their diet.

It's also for beginners of all ages.  I like to practice there with spinners and spoons.  Although i'm not quite sure how that would work with the ice there......

RyanB

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 05:03:04 PM »

took a hammer with me and got up there at 8 am.
lake was frozen on the dock end, but clear at the other end.
also, the area right in front of the dock was clear of ice! no need to break through. :)
two other elderly gentlemen were there already and they caught 3 fish between them and i caught only one in an hour.
all bites stopped at around 9am though. i stayed till 10 and then headed home. it wasn't super super cold, wind was quite calm. i had my fleece underpants, merino wool base layer, gloves, and a fleece hoodie with a down vest over top. a windbreaker would have helped made it extra comfortable.

Glad it worked out for you.  The fishing is easier when there is a solid layer of ice on top.  What did you use for bait?
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 05:26:05 PM »

What is sport to one may be different for others.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 07:55:09 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151857772427712&set=a.377539272711.161655.78768862711&type=1&stream_ref=10

There are a couple of photos posted in the comment section in the above link, from Deer Lake when it was frozen last December. Looks like a fun way to spend a few hours when you can't go far IMO.

Quinsam_Lose_Some

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 08:14:35 PM »

'Don't take this the wrong way but dragging small hungry sluggish fish out of a trout pond is hardly sport.' [from Fish or cut bait.]

And what pray tell master sportsman is the 'right' way to take such a blatantly self righteous, holier than thou comment?

HamidSeshardr, fish where-ever you want, whenever you want and however you want (within regulations).

Don't let the judgmentalism of others influence your pursuit of pleasure and rest assured that such arrogance does not properly reflect the spirit of most that contribute to this discussion forum.   

Fillibert

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 09:35:30 PM »

Seriously, is that what you guys are taking out of this? He was only suggesting driving a bit extra to experience waaay better fishing. As in trying to help people get a better experience by describing what it really is. IMO

marrington03

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 10:24:32 AM »

You'd be hard pressed to find trout you can take home other than in the stocked lakes, anyways.

Especially without access to a boat or a float tube.

I usually take the kids down to lafarge to catch dinner :)

HamidSeshadri

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 03:38:02 PM »

If you can get to Rice lake I'm sure you can get to a place that has reel fish potential.
Rice lake is for kids and pensioners who need protein other than cat food in their diet.
Don't take this the wrong way but dragging small hungry sluggish fish out of a trout pond is hardly sport.
Fishing is fun but so was frying ants with a magnifying glass when I was kid.
(Grown out of the last one)
Heck! By your picture you could fish off a spool without a rod. :)

i love fishing rice lake!  :)
i get to relax looking at the calm water, then BAM! float goes down and little bit of excitement ensues hahahah
i talk with the other folks there, make new friends, teach the young ones... did i mention i love fishing rice lake?
and the trout becomes my retired father in-law's dinner, he absolutely enjoys trout whenever he gets it.
maybe next time i will try hand-lining! hahahah

Glad it worked out for you.  The fishing is easier when there is a solid layer of ice on top.  What did you use for bait?
i soak cooked shrimp in Pautzke's Nectar overnight, then dry them out a bit. they come out bright pink and are killer ;)
Its been the best bait for me at rice lake, even better than power bait.

HamidSeshadri

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 03:39:46 PM »

Don't let the judgmentalism of others influence your pursuit of pleasure and rest assured that such arrogance does not properly reflect the spirit of most that contribute to this discussion forum.

:D

Animal Chin

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 06:34:10 PM »

i love fishing rice lake!  :)
i get to relax looking at the calm water, then BAM! float goes down and little bit of excitement ensues hahahah
i talk with the other folks there, make new friends, teach the young ones... did i mention i love fishing rice lake?

+1, exact same reasons.

RyanB

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 06:35:58 PM »

i soak cooked shrimp in Pautzke's Nectar overnight, then dry them out a bit. they come out bright pink and are killer ;)
Its been the best bait for me at rice lake, even better than power bait.

Awesome.  I recommend you check out Sasamat Lake when the weather warms up. 
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson