Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Author Topic: 2014 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 148645 times)

bigsnag

• Old Timer

went out this morning between canal and vedder bridge. snagged into a huge spring in the dorsal and spent 30 min fighting the tank. caught 3 wild hatch before 11:00 and then it just shut down. is it just me or are the wilds more aggressive on the bite this year. 11 wilds and only 2 hatch so far. was using #3 colorado silver blades through out the day. its only my 3rd day on the vedder so not bad i guess.
most of us will break it off instead of 'fighting' it

love those wild hatch
It ain't the roe bro'

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Went out for 30 minutes no bites, only picked up 4 DNE's floating by. Heavy rain now.

TheLostSockeye

Anyone know if the water came up from this rain? It wasn't bad at around 10:00am still low and clear when i was there

fishfinder

The water was up only slightly when I left at 2pm. It didn't rain a whole lot today. At times it was heavy, but that lasted for about 10 minutes. Need way more rain to get the water level to rise. It's sunny now.

DRP79

Still low and clear despite some heavy rain. I left a little after 2pm and the river hadnt really changed. Its even a bit lower than last weekend I think.

I managed a nice bright hatch coho and also saw some big, bright chinook that were gutted and just left on the side of the river. Looked like they just took the roe and wasted the fish. Either happened yesterday or very early today as they were quite bright despite the seagull damage. Such a waste.

Dave

• Old Timer

Pretty common stuff on the Vedder, Don.  While I watched the show at the Vedder Bridge today (44 anglers but I stopped counting as they just kept coming), I saw a gutted salmon, chum I think, drifting downstream.  About 10 of these anglers attempted to "catch" it as it came down ... great fun to watch and as one local disgusted angler suggested, tickets to this would sell big time  ;D

Tenz85

For wasting the catch or snagging the fish? Havnt review the regs for the specifics as i wouldn't do either but is it considered snagging if the fish is dead?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

River level hasn't really risen much despite of the heavy rain at times. Water clarity is now better, not gin clear like before. That bit of rain also improved the fishing quite a bit.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Water up a bit this AM good colour no bites but the long liners continue to haul in the chinooks, I do not know for certain what it is but the salmon in the Vedder do not bite like they did at one time, is it all the ripping going on that puts them off the bite?

The positive to all the people on the river means lots of floats that I seem to enjoy hunting for instead of fishing, 15 plucked this morning. ;D

Maybe that is why I am getting no fish.  ;D  ;D

bunnta

its been bugging me how light these chinooks take are this year. you can barely notice ur float do anything that u have to start paying attention to the drift instead and real good float balance. If something is irregular or bobbing very slightly....give it a little lift and if u feel resistance, set the hook. I've lost so many roe for being so slow to react, even if its goes down a few second after when u notice something is different. you basically lost your chance as you've been stripped and pulling water. Very frustrating, especially when u keep losing every big spring in the past few trips.  >:(

Tenz85

I was having success with getting chums to take my marabou jigs, wool, small spin and glow, Colorado blades and small spoons. Funny first one was a bit colored so I released it hoping for a cleaner one and they just kept getting more and more spawned out. Got too greedy but was fun at least catching for a change.

mvelasco

its been bugging me how light these chinooks take are this year. you can barely notice ur float do anything that u have to start paying attention to the drift instead and real good float balance. If something is irregular or bobbing very slightly....give it a little lift and if u feel resistance, set the hook. I've lost so many roe for being so slow to react, even if its goes down a few second after when u notice something is different. you basically lost your chance as you've been stripped and pulling water. Very frustrating, especially when u keep losing every big spring in the past few trips.  >:(
I agree, I have to keep good tension on my diet almost to point of swinging and if I feel a "tap tap" or slightest take I set it.

TheLostSockeye

had lots of bites today. There are some chrome springs in there. I was at the end of my drift and started to reel in when there was tension The hook was set and up jumps a huge coho. Was quite the air show it jumped over 6 times. My leader snapped  :'(
Roe was the ticket

A Frayed Knot

Went out today towards dusk but it was a quiet night, I was fusing with spoons, i've never fished them outside of trolling only had one coho but he didn't hang around for us to trade pleasantries.
Was hoping for chum :/

For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

BBarley

I went out tonight and found out how ethical it was to floss float with the kids as the stay away pylons......

Lots of fish rollin, but waaaaaaaaay to many people rippin......
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21