Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: snagging at train tressle  (Read 25640 times)

dave c

Re: snagging at train tressle
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2012, 01:45:16 PM »

Tks Milo much appreciated.  This guy was a scrawny little asian guy (not much threat)  I wouldn't have confronted just any one..... I'm sure he was more intimidated than I was.........that was until my wife found out I called someone out ................. THEN I feared for my safety.

farky

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2012, 01:48:51 PM »

But sadly, intentional snagging is not even on the list of the most common offenses - as that would make the Fraser flossing fishery illegal:
Until it is unequivocally banned by means of clearly worded regulations, fishing with long leaders and bouncing weights continues to be a legal method.

When are they going to wake up and call this method what it actually should be, a harvest for sockeye salmon. Anything other than sockeye caught by the method of bottom bouncing should be released.Once you have your limit of sockeye you either have to change your method of fishing or leave,this will also help with the congestion on the more accessible bars. Or make it so bottom bouncing is only legal on the Fraser during the period in which the sockeye are open, making this method illegal on any other system in the area. I was able to catch around 2 dozen sockeye on the vedder this July short floating cured shrimp with a depth of no longer than 3 feet from the bottom of my float to the hook. All of which were hooked in the mouth and released unharmed to carry on with their business. I was watching a guy fish the other night he had a leader of no longer than 2 feet, however he had about 10 feet between the float and his swivel. The run he was fishing was maybe 6 or 7 feet deep at the most,so he was therefore bottom bouncing with a float on. He got into a couple of fish they were both snagged and he let them go.Now if he was short floating they may have been caught in the mouth, and he could have very well been able to take them home see the difference.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2012, 02:00:01 PM »

This guy was a scrawny little asian guy (not much threat)

It was my first spring of the season! Go easy on me...

I'm not sure what everyone's problem is. Snag this, snag that.

Under the current low water condition and sunny weather, these fish clearly do not bite! Just like sockeye salmon in the murky Fraser River, they will not bite and the only way to catch them is to line these fish with your hook near the bottom. You may wonder how sporting it is. Well it's not, this is a harvest of fish that have been raised at the hatchery and I am only keeping what I am legally allowed to keep, therefore no regulations are broken and people should just go out and enjoy the river. I even have a float on there and pencil lead instead of a bouncing betty, what more do you want me to do? You say short floating with roe? Well I don't plan to get up at 4am just so I can get the few bites at dawn. Short floating right now is like bar fishing on the Fraser River, you get perhaps half a dozen chances per outing. I'm there to catch fish, not to enjoy the scenery.

Right? ;D

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=30749.msg292202#msg292202

farky

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2012, 02:43:09 PM »

It is very true as long as you are fishing within legal means there is no problem at all. However all i was trying to get at was from my own personal experiences,sure you may have more hookups but the chances of foul hooking is greater. When short floating i have found that the chance of fouling the the fish is much less, which increases my chances of being able to keep the fish that i am able to get to bite. And sure a lot has to do with the fact i only have a 5 min drive to the river, so i have the luxury of a little more sleep and do not have to pay much in the way of gas to get there. So the pleasure of having to justify going to the river and not bringing home fish to the wife isn't as bad for me. Don't get me wrong it's not like i have never done it myself but that is what this is all about, being out there learning new things . I do not judge people when out on the river, because quite frankly if there is no laws broken then why should i care. I just enjoy being out there doing something that i love to do.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »

It was my first spring of the season! Go easy on me...

I'm not sure what everyone's problem is. Snag this, snag that.

Under the current low water condition and sunny weather, these fish clearly do not bite! Just like sockeye salmon in the murky Fraser River, they will not bite and the only way to catch them is to line these fish with your hook near the bottom. You may wonder how sporting it is. Well it's not, this is a harvest of fish that have been raised at the hatchery and I am only keeping what I am legally allowed to keep, therefore no regulations are broken and people should just go out and enjoy the river. I even have a float on there and pencil lead instead of a bouncing betty, what more do you want me to do? You say short floating with roe? Well I don't plan to get up at 4am just so I can get the few bites at dawn. Short floating right now is like bar fishing on the Fraser River, you get perhaps half a dozen chances per outing. I'm there to catch fish, not to enjoy the scenery.

Right? ;D

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=30749.msg292202#msg292202

Hey Rodney. You got good sense of humor. But some people will take your comment seriously  :D

dave c

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2012, 03:19:52 PM »

Rod your videos have taught me much.  If all fishermen had your talent and  character we wouldn't have to deal with idiots like the one i encountered.  Race certainly is not an issue here as i am sure there are yahoos of all races out there.  I was just pointing out that this guy wasn't much of a physical threat as others feared that i was careless in calling this guy out.  I was hoping others would speak up also when I did.  Unfortunately it didn't happen. Hoping to see you on the river some day to shake your hand.  You are a gentleman and a true sportsman.  ;)

1son

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2012, 06:43:53 PM »

When are they going to wake up and call this method what it actually should be, a harvest for sockeye salmon. Anything other than sockeye caught by the method of bottom bouncing should be released.Once you have your limit of sockeye you either have to change your method of fishing or leave,this will also help with the congestion on the more accessible bars. Or make it so bottom bouncing is only legal on the Fraser during the period in which the sockeye are open, making this method illegal on any other system in the area. I was able to catch around 2 dozen sockeye on the vedder this July short floating cured shrimp with a depth of no longer than 3 feet from the bottom of my float to the hook. All of which were hooked in the mouth and released unharmed to carry on with their business. I was watching a guy fish the other night he had a leader of no longer than 2 feet, however he had about 10 feet between the float and his swivel. The run he was fishing was maybe 6 or 7 feet deep at the most,so he was therefore bottom bouncing with a float on. He got into a couple of fish they were both snagged and he let them go.Now if he was short floating they may have been caught in the mouth, and he could have very well been able to take them home see the difference.
Hahaha that was funny

1son

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2012, 06:46:27 PM »

Ooops sorry was trying to inert Rodney's post

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2012, 08:52:41 PM »

Wonder if the undercover CO's require a licence to fish ? ;)
He is a fisher too. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2012, 09:00:12 PM »

Fished the "Blue Cup" today and it was a pleasure to see all 6 to 8 anglers fishing in a method that fishing was attended to be.

Mind you, only Toon was able to get one, a chum when I was there for around 90 minutes.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2012, 09:04:10 PM »

You should be fishing the Canuck run :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2012, 09:43:18 PM »

You should be fishing the Canuck run :)
Where is that in the closed area? ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2012, 10:39:57 PM »

Rod your videos have taught me much.  If all fishermen had your talent and  character we wouldn't have to deal with idiots like the one i encountered.  Race certainly is not an issue here as i am sure there are yahoos of all races out there.  I was just pointing out that this guy wasn't much of a physical threat as others feared that i was careless in calling this guy out.  I was hoping others would speak up also when I did.  Unfortunately it didn't happen. Hoping to see you on the river some day to shake your hand.  You are a gentleman and a true sportsman.  ;)

Thanks. Although my last post was mainly intended to be humorous, it represents the attitude of a good percentage of users who participate in our river recreational fisheries. When the recreational fishing community has decided to allow this behaviour on the Fraser River and introduce it to participants who have not experienced what fishing is really about, we cannot be too surprised that the same type of harvest method has been applied to other fisheries in smaller tributaries. You can invest in a few more dozens of enforcement officers on the Chilliwack River, you can educate, you can film and "shame" the people, you can get yourself into a fist fight, nothing will ever improve unless two events occur - A clear distinction between allowable fishing methods in the Fraser River sockeye salmon fishery and other fisheries, and a change in attitude among users in this recreational fishing community.

Very little enforcement applies to the Chilliwack River for a few reasons. It is a heavily stocked fishery that allows users to retain artificially planted fish. Federal fishery officers have to patrol and enforce three sectors. In September and October, most of the effort concentrates on the Fraser River where endangered stocks are present and illegal netting takes place. Provincial conservation officers are busy in the bush checking hunters. What may seem illegal to you on the Chilliwack River, is not as enforceable for an officer as you may think. An user fishing with a float and has the float depth adjusted way beyond the river depth, yanking the rod randomly whenever the float goes down because the hook is dragging onto something, foul hooking fish at times when those random yanks hit something, releasing them as regulations required, but keeping the ones hooked around the mouth. These actions may seem completely unethical to you, they will not result in a fine because no regulations seem to have been broken, even though the user may or may not know that intentional snagging is being demonstrated. If the above scenario should be penalized, then every single person who is out there on the Fraser River doing the same thing with a bouncing betty would already have been fined.

Some individuals will choose to retain a snagged fish. Again, in this case it is illegal, but it is a ridiculously difficult incident to penalize. The officer would need to be present and observe the person committing the act before issuing the ticket. Although it may seem like many snagged fish are retained, it actually takes forever to see a person committing this act. No officers are going to stand at a spot for hours to issue a $100 ticket.

Experienced anglers should keep in mind that the Chilliwack River is the most heavily used recreational river and participants are from all skill levels, age groups and ethnic backgrounds. A large percentage of users, especially on weekends, know very little about fishing for salmon in rivers. You can read as much as you want on the internet and books, but it still comes down to trying it out, make mistakes and hopefully learn. Many people, while new, are in fact eager to learn and do the right thing. The problem is, they can watch and learn the wrong thing from those who think they know what they are doing, but actually don't. They can be lucky enough to meet an experienced angler who is willing to share the knowledge. Of course, some may just want to catch a fish and couldn't care less about learning at all because they only get to fish once or twice per year. If you consider yourself experienced and want to improve the fishery, don't blame the government, don't assume everyone out there is a poacher, don't be negative and confrontational. Have empathy, be observant and distinguish those who are willing to learn and who intend to poach.

If you hang around the busy spots, you will obviously come across individuals who might ruin your day. Keep that in mind because the outcome of your trip depends on it. Greet others around you at the run, strike up a conversation if they wish to. Assist them when they are bringing in a fish and needing a hand, they almost always want you to release it for them when a snagged fish is in your hands. Don't force the way you fish on others if they obviously have no idea what they are doing, it'd just ruin everyone's day, including yours. Teach them by your actions, catch lots of fish. If they ask, kindly explain to them why you are able to trigger some bites. If they are skeptical, consider yourself lucky because dredging along the bottom rarely intercept a good coho salmon compared to those who know how to target them specifically.

The bottom line is, when you're going fishing, you're not going to a war zone, you're going to a playground for big and small kids.

farky

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2012, 10:50:42 PM »

Thank you rodney , very well said.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2012, 12:18:40 AM »

Thank you rodney , very well said.

X2