Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: snagging at train tressle  (Read 25642 times)

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
Re: snagging at train tressle
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 08:46:41 AM »

Recreational fishery is OUR fishery. We are the ones on the river every day. Do not wait for the CO's to take back OUR fishery. It is up to us. We discuss, we educate and promote spotsman-like fishery. Yes, we should all report unsportsman-like activity on OUR rivers, but bottom line, we are there.

Drewhill

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 09:10:11 AM »

>:( I witnessed a some idiot today at the train bridge just reefing on his rod every 5 seconds on his retrieve.  I watched in horror for about 3hours as every one around him seemed oblivious or just didn't want to confront him.  This blatant display of unsportsmanship was very disturbing..........and unable to take it anymore I had to speak up.  With some very colorful words I told him that he was a loser and his snagging attempts were not only illegal, and classless but was spoiling my day on the river.  He basically told me to mind his own business.  Shortly thereafter the poor excuse for a human being snagged a gorgeous 20lb spring.  Everyone i spoke to on the bar confirmed that it was foul hooked in the tail.  He brought it a couple hundred yards downstream beached, and killed it.  I tried to rally the troops but sadly everyone around me said wait a couple weeks and it will be rampant.  Being new to the area i wasn"t prepared for what i saw.  I was told that there weren't too many fisheries officers around, which seems a shame. I know it seems like a long shot,  but i think us sportsmen should rally together and protect our fishery from these idiots..........................strength in numbers............maybe if enough of us speak up these dummies will get the idea and perhaps grow a conscience.   

Not sure using "colorful words" will help. Dude probably thinks you're crazy.

Bandit420

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 10:57:48 AM »

Good on you for calling this guy out. A lot of people out there and on the internet dont have the courage to do what you did. Your actions can go along way and maybe just maybe somebody else will follow in your foot steps. I stay away from the gong spots because I know exactly whats going on.
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 11:06:09 AM »

Good on you for calling this guy out. A lot of people out there and on the internet dont have the courage to do what you did. Your actions can go along way and maybe just maybe somebody else will follow in your foot steps. I stay away from the gong spots because I know exactly whats going on.

Not sure if courage would be the correct word here.  To many unpredictable people, which seems amplified amongst poachers,  to be calling them all out.

t-bone

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 03:05:52 PM »

Calling RAPP is best but it doesn't hurt to shame these guys on the river, most go away because they know they are doing wrong...

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 10:47:21 AM »

Calling RAPP is best but it doesn't hurt to shame these guys on the river, most go away because they know they are doing wrong...

...and some will chase you down with the intent to hurt...

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 11:04:06 AM »

...and some will chase you down with the intent to hurt...

That is what makes it courageous to do do.  If you were sure the guy(s) would not react violently then it wouldn't take any courage at all.  I am not recommending you do it, just saying you would be courageous if you did.
Not all those who wander are lost

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 11:37:13 AM »

Every year this topic repeats itself, and sadly, things are far worse today than they were five or ten years ago.
As a result, I am starting to highly doubt the effectiveness of this and other fishing forums in deterring the behavior you witnessed.

I have chosen to stay away from the river until water comes up and many more miles of fishable water become available. As it is, fish are concentrated in a very limited number of deeper sections during the day, making them an easy target for the unscrupulous.

I never thought I would say this during salmon season, but given the rampant increase in questionable individuals on the river these days, interior lakes with their big trout sound like a much more gratifying alternative.

Short of a huge increase in enforcement (which won't happen because fish snagging is very low on the Govt's scale of priorities), the only solution I see to this situation is to close the river to all retention at least until the rains bring the water levels up. Without a legal option to keep fish, at least 90% of the snaggers would stay home.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 11:57:25 AM »

Short of a huge increase in enforcement (which won't happen because fish snagging is very low on the Govt's scale of priorities), the only solution I see to this situation is to close the river to all retention at least until the rains bring the water levels up. Without a legal option to keep fish, at least 90% of the snaggers would stay home.

Unfortunately you would penalize all the legitimate fishermen out there......  and there are still more of them than there are of the snaggers.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

noobfisher

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2012, 12:14:38 PM »

Take photos with your Iphone's of the snaggers and let's publicly shame these guys.  Nothing else seems to work.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2012, 12:38:22 PM »

Unfortunately you would penalize all the legitimate fishermen out there......  and there are still more of them than there are of the snaggers.

Legitimate fishermen should be concerned about the resource and not only think about the meat they can take home. "Penalize" is a bit of a harsh word unless one's only motivation is to get a few fish to take home. The greed and sense of entitlement to the fish is what is spoiling it for everyone.

If I had it my way, the lower Vedder would be C&R fly fishing only-year round.  ;D

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2012, 12:39:21 PM »

Take photos with your Iphone's of the snaggers and let's publicly shame these guys.  Nothing else seems to work.

I don't think its a good advise, cause i saw a guys Iphone that ended up in the river.

farky

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2012, 12:52:18 PM »

Every year this topic repeats itself, and sadly, things are far worse today than they were five or ten years ago.
As a result, I am starting to highly doubt the effectiveness of this and other fishing forums in deterring the behavior you witnessed.

I have chosen to stay away from the river until water comes up and many more miles of fishable water become available. As it is, fish are concentrated in a very limited number of deeper sections during the day, making them an easy target for the unscrupulous.

I never thought I would say this during salmon season, but given the rampant increase in questionable individuals on the river these days, interior lakes with their big trout sound like a much more gratifying alternative.

Problem is even with higher water levels it's not going to change the way these people choose to fish. I have no problem with a C&R fishery,due to the fact that i love the sport and being out there. Being able to keep what you are catching in any kind of condition, is just a bonus . The only way is to educate and enforce proper regulations, perhaps maybe make a few additional regs for the vedder on maybe leader length or hook size.

dave c

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2012, 12:58:35 PM »

Problem is even with higher water levels it's not going to change the way these people choose to fish. I have no problem with a C&R fishery,due to the fact that i love the sport and being out there. Being able to keep what you are catching in any kind of condition, is just a bonus . The only way is to educate and enforce proper regulations, perhaps maybe make a few additional regs for the vedder on maybe leader length or hook size.
What i was suggesting in my original post was that if when i first confronted the snagger with his illegal techniques .... had a few other guys there backed me up  possibly the guy would feel uncomfortable enough to actually fish properly....or leave.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2012, 01:09:12 PM »

What i was suggesting in my original post was that if when i first confronted the snagger with his illegal techniques .... had a few other guys there backed me up  possibly the guy would feel uncomfortable enough to actually fish properly....or leave.

I'll always have your back if I am there...and it is a BIG back.  ;)
But you be careful on your own out there. As others have suggested, the best approach is ORR (observe, record, report).

But sadly, intentional snagging is not even on the list of the most common offenses - as that would make the Fraser flossing fishery illegal:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/publications/docs/orr-ons-eng.htm

Until it is unequivocally banned by means of clearly worded regulations, fishing with long leaders and bouncing weights continues to be a legal method.