Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: snagging at train tressle  (Read 25638 times)

dave c

snagging at train tressle
« on: September 20, 2012, 09:09:43 PM »

>:( I witnessed a some idiot today at the train bridge just reefing on his rod every 5 seconds on his retrieve.  I watched in horror for about 3hours as every one around him seemed oblivious or just didn't want to confront him.  This blatant display of unsportsmanship was very disturbing..........and unable to take it anymore I had to speak up.  With some very colorful words I told him that he was a loser and his snagging attempts were not only illegal, and classless but was spoiling my day on the river.  He basically told me to mind his own business.  Shortly thereafter the poor excuse for a human being snagged a gorgeous 20lb spring.  Everyone i spoke to on the bar confirmed that it was foul hooked in the tail.  He brought it a couple hundred yards downstream beached, and killed it.  I tried to rally the troops but sadly everyone around me said wait a couple weeks and it will be rampant.  Being new to the area i wasn"t prepared for what i saw.  I was told that there weren't too many fisheries officers around, which seems a shame. I know it seems like a long shot,  but i think us sportsmen should rally together and protect our fishery from these idiots..........................strength in numbers............maybe if enough of us speak up these dummies will get the idea and perhaps grow a conscience.   

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: snagging at train tressle
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 09:15:49 PM »

It is sickening and its a sad reality on the Vedder. However I dont see allot of people killing fish snagged in the tail. I would have been right beside him when he brought it to shore than released the fish before he had a chance to bonk it.

He is what we call a "RIPPER" Cast, drift, RIP. They are sickening individuals. My advice is stay away from the heavily populated areas and you wont see much of this. I like to have an enjoyable day on the water so I stay away from the RIPPER areas.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

farky

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 09:23:17 PM »

I avoid the busy areas like the plague, sure the snaggers  get to handle lots of fish but they end up spooking what is left in the run for the rest of us. Best to call him in and move on,or offer some advice maybe teach a new technique, who knows maybe he is a newbie and doesn't know any better.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 09:41:31 PM »

The best advice that I herd of a CO giving was to simple phone the RAPP line. Each call is logged and the more calls they get for a certain area the more that area will be visited by not only the CO's but also DFO officers.

Now if you do not know this number here it is. Dial Toll Free 1-877-952-7277, or on your cell #7277, now every one should program this into the cell phones and call in what you witness and make sure you give the location of where this is happening.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 10:02:09 PM »

I bet when he gets home, he will tell his wife, kids, coworkers and friends that he "caught' this big fish and everyone will think he is such a great fisherman!!!!

People like that will never learn.

I just hope one day they realized that what they did was wrong and fish the proper way.

Playing a fish hooked in the mouth is a way better fight compared to dead weight draggin you down the run....

1son

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »

Sad to say but it's nothing new on the vedder... was fishing the lower this morning and seen a few guys bottom bouncing and snagging fish for hours one guy was even fishing with a barbed hook on for who knows how long shocking some of the stuff you come across while enjoying a nice day on the river

FishingKing

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 10:07:57 PM »

>:( I witnessed a some idiot today at the train bridge just reefing on his rod every 5 seconds on his retrieve.  I watched in horror for about 3hours as every one around him seemed oblivious or just didn't want to confront him.  This blatant display of unsportsmanship was very disturbing..........and unable to take it anymore I had to speak up.  With some very colorful words I told him that he was a loser and his snagging attempts were not only illegal, and classless but was spoiling my day on the river.  He basically told me to mind his own business.  Shortly thereafter the poor excuse for a human being snagged a gorgeous 20lb spring.  Everyone i spoke to on the bar confirmed that it was foul hooked in the tail.  He brought it a couple hundred yards downstream beached, and killed it.  I tried to rally the troops but sadly everyone around me said wait a couple weeks and it will be rampant.  Being new to the area i wasn"t prepared for what i saw.  I was told that there weren't too many fisheries officers around, which seems a shame. I know it seems like a long shot,  but i think us sportsmen should rally together and protect our fishery from these idiots..........................strength in numbers............maybe if enough of us speak up these dummies will get the idea and perhaps grow a conscience.   

I,also witnessed this in the canal today. some old man was bottom fishing ripping his line every second. Pretty sad to see.

kindalonismo

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 10:11:57 PM »

The best advice that I herd of a CO giving was to simple phone the RAPP line. Each call is logged and the more calls they get for a certain area the more that area will be visited by not only the CO's but also DFO officers.

Now if you do not know this number here it is. Dial Toll Free 1-877-952-7277, or on your cell #7277, now every one should program this into the cell phones and call in what you witness and make sure you give the location of where this is happening.

Thanks Geff, just added the number into my phone.  Hopefully all that read this will do the same and we continue to be diligent as a whole and report every time we see an offence like this!

Drewhill

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 10:44:33 PM »

Good thing this isn't a pink year. You'd never fish the vedder again!

Zanna

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 11:20:40 PM »

I'm new to fishing in BC and I find it rather ironic that you need a law degree to understand all the rules, with specific details for all the species and sizes that change for each rivers or even sections of rivers and so forth and then lots of morons like this go around snagging and no one is controlling.

Seriously if you are not checking the Vedder in fall what are you checking? one officer doing a pass of the Vedder during the weekend can probably make up his entire month salary in fines and if he does a pass every weekend it would start deterring people from using those techniques.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 11:34:12 PM »

I'm new to fishing in BC and I find it rather ironic that you need a law degree to understand all the rules, with specific details for all the species and sizes that change for each rivers or even sections of rivers and so forth and then lots of morons like this go around snagging and no one is controlling.

Seriously if you are not checking the Vedder in fall what are you checking? one officer doing a pass of the Vedder during the weekend can probably make up his entire month salary in fines and if he does a pass every weekend it would start deterring people from using those techniques.

Case reports... they take a long time... as I'm finding out right now...
In all honestly, a couple tickets is probably a weeks worth of work, they just don't have enough officers around to do it, and not enough funding to hire more officers.

Most CO's are dealing with the thousands of bear calls they get per year.
Most DFO are probably caught up in FN fisheries, or like I said, in the office doing paper work for the tickets they do write.

They should do what they do out here on the island.
Send out different CO's, DFO's fishing without any uniform, etc. Look just like another fisherman, keep their limit, and watch for major infractions and hand out a couple dozen tickets at a time (then they can do their office work) while they send out another officer the next week. Kinda keeps a lot of the poaching on the stamp at bay, especially since you don't know if the guy beside you is a CO/DFO or not.

Btw I should mention I knew a couple DFO on the Vedder... once a week they would go out undercover, one guy would go fishing without uniform on below a major infraction run (such as train bridge, etc) and radio up to his partner in the parking lot when a guy was leaving that had committed an infraction with description, what he did, etc. His partner would write tickets to the guys as they walked into the parking lot... so it does occur, you might just not see it. Definitely important to call as much as possible, because they build up these major infraction holes based on number of calls from certain areas or based on what they see.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:37:21 PM by Every Day »

Zanna

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 12:01:41 AM »

Case reports... they take a long time... as I'm finding out right now...
In all honestly, a couple tickets is probably a weeks worth of work, they just don't have enough officers around to do it, and not enough funding to hire more officers.

Most CO's are dealing with the thousands of bear calls they get per year.
Most DFO are probably caught up in FN fisheries, or like I said, in the office doing paper work for the tickets they do write.

They should do what they do out here on the island.
Send out different CO's, DFO's fishing without any uniform, etc. Look just like another fisherman, keep their limit, and watch for major infractions and hand out a couple dozen tickets at a time (then they can do their office work) while they send out another officer the next week. Kinda keeps a lot of the poaching on the stamp at bay, especially since you don't know if the guy beside you is a CO/DFO or not.

Btw I should mention I knew a couple DFO on the Vedder... once a week they would go out undercover, one guy would go fishing without uniform on below a major infraction run (such as train bridge, etc) and radio up to his partner in the parking lot when a guy was leaving that had committed an infraction with description, what he did, etc. His partner would write tickets to the guys as they walked into the parking lot... so it does occur, you might just not see it. Definitely important to call as much as possible, because they build up these major infraction holes based on number of calls from certain areas or based on what they see.

Good to hear that there is some action going on.

I've grabbed the number for the RAPP hopefully I can be of some help.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 12:25:18 AM »

Wonder if the undercover CO's require a licence to fish ? ;)

Fillibert

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 03:24:12 AM »

If they need funding just go to any lower mainland stocked lake or pier and there is always someone who breaks the law. Use that money to fund salmon fishery officers

noobfisher

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 06:32:56 AM »

My suggestions:

1 - take photos of snaggers and poachers with your cellular phone, post them on here so we can publicly shame them, ie Vancouver Riots

2 - Phone and report the RAPP line

3 - good on you for calling this guy out, but we need more people reported, if we don't report you can't expect CO/DFO to pick up enforcement