Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recreational Halibut Closure  (Read 5225 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Recreational Halibut Closure
« on: October 06, 2010, 11:09:14 AM »

FN0891-Recreational Halibut: All areas - Halibut Fishing Closure#8207;
Category(s): RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0891-Recreational Halibut: All areas - Halibut Fishing Closure

Throughout the 2010 recreational halibut fishing season, the Department in conjunction with the Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB) Halibut Working Group have reviewed in-season monthly catch estimates.

Catch information indicates that the recreational share of the Total Allowable Catch has been reached.

Therefore, recreational fishing for halibut will close effective 23:59hrs October 18, 2010 for the balance of the year.

2011 management actions will be developed throughout the fall and announcements will be made in early 2011.

Variation Order 2010-395 is in effect.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact: Tamee Mawani 604-666-9033 or Devona Adams 604-666-3271

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0891
Sent October 6, 2010 at 09:40
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
.................................................. .........................

This is Complete and utter BS! From First-hand observance, the hit from Bamfield, Port and Ukee was down substantially right across the board this season! For the first season in my experience, a great many of the clients didn't even want to bother with the run out for a single fish each, preferring instead to Enjoy The Madness that the salmon fishing was instead. And while the crew of guides did collect a few, our collective experience strongly points out that the numbers were NO-WHERE near those of the past several seasons.

A similar case many here are not likely aware of...
Area G Troll (WCVI) realizes a September opening based completely upon any "surplus" TAC left over once the recreational sector numbers have been tabulated for that particular season. Given DFO's stance towards Area G of late, it came as no surprise that the numbers were "tweaked" just enough to deny any such opening this fall. However, once the numbers provided by the Department were analyzed by outside investigators, a LOUD Cry went up both from the Area G Representatives, as well as those representing the Recreational Sector. Were the numbers thus provided to be believed, it was readily apparent that EVERY SINGLE TRIP to the grounds had resulted in ALL anglers FAR surpassing their legal catch numbers! Shocking!  :o
When the cry began to wander towards Enforcement issues as a consequence, DFO immediately changed those numbers (a fairly massive reduction actually) and announced an opening for Area G without sufficient time left in the month to prosecute it! So, in the end, by twisting the data to their own agenda, they did realize what their intent was - basically keeping Area G OFF the water.  >:(

The reason I post that is there are direct parallels between that little (sickening) scenario, and what is occurring with recreational halibut fishing. I did note that several folks have stated that they are prepared to take DFO to task over this new set of "spun" catch figures. I would like to amongst the first to note that if there is Anything I can do to help that along, please do feel free to count on me!

Methinks the time is long overdue we stood idly by while we are continuously lied to to our detriment!

Thoughts?

Ticked!
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
Re: Recreational Halibut Closure
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 11:25:07 AM »

Wow! Over 100 looks, and nary a response  ???

Guess there simply aren't many halibut fishers here, or they are prepared to take this simply lying down?  ::)

Hmmmmm...
Nog

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 11:43:52 AM »

Don't expect any backing from the fisheries scientists- Harpo put a muzzle on them. They're reduced to trained seal status.
http://

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 12:29:33 PM »

Not a whole lot of recreational halibut fishing happens in the winter except for locals.
This board is primarily made up of people that fish the Fraser and the Vedder and that's it.

While I respect your efforts in a lot of areas, crying "wolf" whenever something affects your ability to earn an income gets kind of tired after a while.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 02:02:39 PM »

Wow! Over 100 looks, and nary a response  ???

Guess there simply aren't many halibut fishers here, or they are prepared to take this simply lying down?  ::)

Hmmmmm...
Nog

You must get tired , jumping from one side of the fence to the other  ::). I don't mind jigging the odd halibut, but I also help catch a commercial quota as well, so this closure does not hurt my feelings whatsoever. I guess when it comes to the fishing guide/charter business, this could have a negative impact on their livelihood. I might be wrong, but I'm assuming this is why your posting this thread in the first place. I wonder how many guides are editing their on-line business brochures ? I guess when it comes to The Ultimate Fishing Town, Port Alberni will have to nix halibut off the list for the rest of the year. There's still the bucket-mouths and yelloweye, along with all the beautiful salmon. Oh by the way, there's lots of sabertooth/turbot off Ukee, tell them it's just as good ;D ;D or better yet, take them out to the rat hole and do some hake fishin, tell them it's west coast barricuda ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 02:30:46 PM by Bently »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 03:05:04 PM »

While I respect your efforts in a lot of areas, crying "wolf" whenever something affects your ability to earn an income gets kind of tired after a while.

::)  ::)  ::)

I guess when it comes to the fishing guide/charter business, this could have a negative impact on their livelihood. I might be wrong, but I'm assuming this is why your posting this thread in the first place.

No to both thoughts. My involvement offshore culminated a couple of weeks back now, and I have taken up The Gun instead. Didn't and don't have any aspirations about returning to the chuck until well down the line...

There are a handful of charter guides I know that will be effected, some quite heavily so. That however was not the reason I posted.

I did so to point out the way we are "managed" by the powers that be, and their unscrupulous use of figures literally grabbed out of thin air to do so.
Not too difficult to wrap your head around the implications for all fisheries should we continuously take it on the chin with no response.
Guess others simply can't see that. Unfortunate some of the same then try to make this a "personal" issue with the messenger.

Whatever. Carry On...
Nog

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 03:20:27 PM »

This board is primarily made up of people that fish the Fraser and the Vedder and that's it.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 03:23:21 PM by marmot »

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 03:49:19 PM »

i back up the noggin 100 percent dfo are doing a bad job in the alberni area with springs.as for halibut they dont consider the value of sport caught fish to the local economy. sportsmen should be concerned when dfo fudge numbers to close a fishery,the fraser might be next,they you will pay attention ,we have slot size on springs natives dont ,so you realease your over slot fish to later get netted in a food fishery thats conservation.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 04:20:09 PM »

Are you worried about the little amount of money generated from now until the end of the year or the fish  ???

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 04:27:02 PM »

Are you worried about the little amount of money generated from now until the end of the year or the fish  ???

You REALLY that Thick?  ???

I am worried about PROCESS. I am worried about being LIED to. I am very worried about the twists and turns involved in "managing" our Fisheries resources in Canada, and particularly in BC. And I am worried that the Apathy, and the Internal Bickering amongst various factions in the Recreational Sector will forever keep us divided, and therefore Easy Pickings for those who know Exactly how to use that Against us.

Sheesh!  ::)
Nog

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 04:44:33 PM »

::)  ::)  ::)

No to both thoughts. My involvement offshore culminated a couple of weeks back now, and I have taken up The Gun instead. Didn't and don't have any aspirations about returning to the chuck until well down the line...

There are a handful of charter guides I know that will be effected, some quite heavily so. That however was not the reason I posted.

I did so to point out the way we are "managed" by the powers that be, and their unscrupulous use of figures literally grabbed out of thin air to do so.
Not too difficult to wrap your head around the implications for all fisheries should we continuously take it on the chin with no response.
Guess others simply can't see that. Unfortunate some of the same then try to make this a "personal" issue with the messenger.

Whatever. Carry On...
Nog

I just wanted to hear your thoughts,as you are both a commercial fisher as well as a guide. It's what, 3 months, I don't think anybody's taking it on the chin too bad, and I wasn't being personal, just general in your field{s}. It could be a lot worse Nog. The DFO have been fudging numbers for the last 2 decades in both sport and commercial, I agree that they should be investigated and held accountable. The only way that happens is when we get hundreds of fishermen from all sectors rallying outside the doors when THE MAN comes to town, and not just giving up at the end of the day. Been there done that before, back in the 90's on the groundfish wars.

On the Gun, I hope you get what your after, those monsters from Saskatchewan were dandy's. { WOW !! } Going back!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 04:56:30 PM by Bently »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 02:19:32 AM »

...The DFO have been fudging numbers for the last 2 decades in both sport and commercial, I agree that they should be investigated and held accountable.

aYup! We Concur it seems. Strongly!  ;)

Those monsters from Saskatchewan were dandy's. Going back!!

Saskatchewan was a while ago alright.  ???  Remind me if you please...

Alberta's been a tad better of late  ;)

Cheers,
Nog