Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spoons for salmon  (Read 3663 times)

ray

• I'm a llama!
Spoons for salmon
« on: October 06, 2010, 03:01:31 PM »

I want to try spoon fishing for chum and coho but have no idea what sizes color or types to use. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

GENERAL-SHERMAN

Re: Spoons for salmon
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 03:28:21 PM »

bc steels or gibbs ironheads in silver and copper are good bets in moving water for coho and springs... 2/3 and 2/5 should be all u need. iv had success for coho using illusion style spoons made by gibbs. if your fishing chum just use big pink no- name brand spoons with silver(or nickel)  on one side. still water ur gibbs crocs or a spoon with a thinner profile that has a good action and spinners.. got my first salmon last year sept 6 on a spoon. just look for runs that can hold good numbers of fish and have a fairly even flow to them 4+ feet  and swing your spoon. its like bottom bouncing only your spoon should be just off bottom and they actually bite... if you find a piece of water that holds fish but is a little slow dont be afraid to cast on an angle downstream to get that action of your spoon working and keep you off bottom. you might want to try spoon replacement hooks for improved landing ratios..i use gamy 1,  1/0, 2/0  hooks. invest in a hook sharpener because you will be hitting rocks a little bit dulling your hook. good luck!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 03:33:08 PM by GENERAL-SHERMAN »

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 08:08:17 PM »

metal colors are good bets, copper silver brass etc.
Use a rod n reel that is well balanced and light so you can cast for long periods and has good feel so you can sense every bump slack bite and turn/stop of the spinner blade; lighter line for longer casts and to avoid added weight on your line, and mono for stretch and vis, even floro leaders and bead chain swivels may help
learn what spoons are for what water and carry lots with you to experiment with, spinners are deadly too and more often my choice over spoons, for casting or trolling.

WildRod

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 11:00:06 PM »

Do you find any difference between firestripe and plain metal finished spoons?  What about hammered finish vs smooth?

lovethewater

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 11:06:48 PM »

I am not sure the hammered vs smooth makes a huge difference.  There are times when coho will be picky over colours though.  They have been known to go crazy for blue at times.  Also, size can make a big difference.  My personal preference is for smaller...

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 11:32:35 PM »

Spoons are expensive, spinners are cheap and do just fine for coho.  Spinners like this (with a single hook as opposed to a treble) work out to be something like $0.60 each and work well for coho, springs, chum and steelhead.

ray

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 11:45:57 AM »

Do you fish them with or without floats

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 01:21:36 PM »

Both