Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is with all the Jack Coho in the Vedder this year?  (Read 7230 times)

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Re: What is with all the Jack Coho in the Vedder this year?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 10:34:52 PM »

Well I just returned from an evening out, and only managed one coho, a 4 pounder which was a hatchery and I lost it right at the beach, AGAIN. That's 4 now I've beeked off at the beach one I saw the lack of an adipose fin! Argh. Also hooked a very clean doe chum, which I released.

I've been flyfishing, using olive crystal buggers yesterday, and before that black muddlers... I have no idea why I'm getting so many, they sure hammer the fly!

And yes they do taste good, baked two of them the other night, i'd say even better than adult coho...

Cheers,
Nicole
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 10:36:52 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 03:13:25 PM »

I hate you...  :-*   just kid'n....Of course, I guess i'd have to actually fish the Vedder or a system with ho's to have a chance at catching any...would rather wrestle chums then gong show it..but your still using the boat aren't you????.....damn now I really hate you... ;D

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2006, 07:46:10 PM »

haven't hooked a coho all year! Are u fishing the upper lower or middle! No spots, just areas!
Fish killer 101

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2006, 08:44:49 PM »

lower, between the CnR bridge and the mouth. Both by boat and on foot. I have another spot upriver, but it will soon be unreachable when the waters rise this week... Fish are kind of booty upriver anyways...

Just stay away from the springs, and you'll stumble across them... Keep in mind I've put some serious hours in, going to all froggy places... Focusing soley on coho. I have managed a couple of springs that are quickly broken off. Too much for a 7 wt.

Where ever I see big springs rolling, and alot of chum, I fish the edges and second rate water, and and pass over the prime parts of the runs in search of the more coho friendly water.

Cheers,
Nicole
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 08:55:59 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2006, 09:38:56 PM »

k u gusy need to tell me where these fish are! i haven't hooked a coho, jack of adult all year, please tell me! Email me something! droussanidis@hotmail.com
Fish killer 101

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2006, 09:41:09 PM »

"AGAIN. That's 4 now I've beeked "

OK :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2006, 09:54:22 PM »

i try to fish the area's where there aren't that many chum and no springs, but there are so many of them. The only coho i saw was past the KWB. The run bellow it. It was hanging in the tailout, just next to the bank i sent the smallest spinner to it. And it bit and i was playing it and it came off so! I hooked one just didn't land it! But seriously its pretty bad for me!
Fish killer 101

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 06:25:36 AM »

Thats more luck than I have had this year and probably most others at least.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 06:51:06 AM »

If you think of those jacks, they are much smaller than their 3 or 4 year counter parts so my guess is that they have to compete harder to survive in a group where they are the smallest individuals.  Its only a theory I have but I think that this makes them more aggressive and easier to catch.

One thing to ask the fishers quoting their catch numbers, can you also include the amount of trips/effort so we can guage what type of a year you are having.  I have only hooked 1 coho on the vedder this year which sounds pretty weak, but I have only taken on trip.  I am curious to know how many trips you have taken Nicole?

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 08:04:12 AM »

i have 3 trips 3 springs 22 chum and a lost coho!
Fish killer 101

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2006, 09:53:01 AM »

I am curious to know how many trips you have taken Nicole?

I think I've done 8 trips, averaging 6 hours each... Roughly.

Cheers,
Nicole
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 10:47:53 AM by Nicole »

-Garrett Hardin

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 10:12:31 AM »

Those jacks will hit just about anything it seems, as long as it is small enough.  Every time we head out we get at least two in the 14inch range..we've kept one this year and it wasnt as tasty as we thought it was going to be so we havent kept any more.

Nicole when you lose them at shore are they actually at shore or a few feet out?  Ive seen a few guys using long handled nets, but it seems like a pain to carry around, plus you wouldnt want to net a wild fish for obvious reasons.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2006, 10:47:05 AM »

I lose them as soon as they feel bottom on their bellies, they zip out and start doing the roll, then bingo, off.

It's difficult to keep them on when they're rolling right under your rod tip, as the hook slides out so easily. The first roll after the hookset is easier to keep them from popping off.

I'm thinking of bringing my rod tip to the side to keep them off balance.

Anyone have any techniques handling the roll right at the beach in the shallows? They seem to go a bit crazy.

Cheers,
Nicole

-Garrett Hardin

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2006, 11:16:04 AM »

A guy I sometimes go with tires them out alot more than i do, his catches always seem to go alot easier than mine...i end up muddy every time :)  Im in the "bring them in fast" camp, but sometimes theyre just not ready.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2006, 02:23:39 PM »

I've been trying this but I'm not making any promises...I'm soft pumping the rod a couple times before shore to make sure the hookset is good, not trying to rip their lips off, just making sure the hookset is solid...If it comes out then that's fine as it wasn't a good set anyway...Just a thought..rod sideways too helps...You are much more accomplished then me though so I'm sure you probably do that already..