Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buzz Bomb doesn't rotate  (Read 23818 times)

Mr Z

Buzz Bomb doesn't rotate
« on: July 20, 2013, 06:28:58 PM »

Hi,

I recently bought a buzz bomb for the first time. I hook it up as suggested. Hook then black circle and then the lure which is free to move up and down on the leader. I noticed that one side of the lure has an arrow indicating which side the hook suppose to be on and it's in the correct position.

The problem I'm having is that the lure is not rotating. I tried multiple times right in front of me to see if the how it behaves and it simply sink with an oscillating motion but no rotation.

I bought the smallest one they had in store to target coho.

Anyone has an idea what I'm doing wrong? Am I missing something?

Thanks a lot for the help

salmonlover

Re: Buzz Bomb doesn't rotate
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 06:51:11 PM »

its not suppose to spin like a spinner, and you just dont cast it out and retrieve like a spoon or spinner, if youre doing that stop it. You lift your rod, and then lower it and reel in the slack and repeat. you wanna create enough slack in the line so that it falls vertically then it imitates a wounded bait fish, this is when most of the strikes happen. good luck.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 06:55:28 PM »

Buzz Bombs ........err I mean snagging lures  ::)

yes that is what I think, mostly because anyone I have seen using them isn't using them properly but fishing them more like the natives at the Capilano mouth.

cast, rip, reel slack, rip, reel slack, rip.........repeat until no fish left  :'(

I can see why buzz bombs are good in the salt chuck jigging for salmon but not in a river where your line is NOT in a vertical position
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 07:56:24 PM »

chances are the diameter of your line is too thick...small buzz bombs work best with 10lb test line.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 08:10:28 PM »

Buzz Bombs ........err I mean snagging lures  ::)

yes that is what I think, mostly because anyone I have seen using them isn't using them properly but fishing them more like the natives at the Capilano mouth.

cast, rip, reel slack, rip, reel slack, rip.........repeat until no fish left  :'(

I can see why buzz bombs are good in the salt chuck jigging for salmon but not in a river where your line is NOT in a vertical position

The problem I'm having is that the lure is not rotating. I tried multiple times right in front of me to see if the how it behaves and it simply sink with an oscillating motion but no rotation.

Thanks a lot for the help

if he's describing it as simply sinking with an oscillating motion, then isn't that an indication that he's trying to use it the way it's instructed? Also the Cap Mouth is the saltchuck.

Mr Z

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 08:18:57 PM »

Yes I'm jigging it and as far as I know it is suppose to rotate when you give it slack line while it's sinking but it is not.

blaydRnr I think you might be right I'm using 12lb mono which is pretty good as I'm fishing form the beach but maybe a little too much for this lure. The lure seems to be moving freely along the line but it doesn't hurt to try some of the 10lb flouro I have.

Thanks for the help

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 10:30:31 AM »

im well aware the cap mouth is the salt. If your on shore you cant jig it vertically though so your still jigging it at a 45 degree angle. pretty hard to snag fish in the chuck though. I was more referring to the people I have seen using these in the lower Fraser fishing for pinks. When 90+% of the fish that I see hooked are in the back, side, tail, anus.........
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 10:40:40 AM »

Buzz bombs are perfectly fine to use from shore, both at the Capilano River mouth and the tidal portion of the Fraser River. You can snag fish with all types of lures and hooks, it comes down to the angler's intent.

Personally I don't like to retrieve and lift the buzz bomb or similar lures slowly at times. I find it'd hang up on the bottom especially if you are fishing in pretty shallow waters. If standing in the water, I usually have my rod on the side and constantly twitch the rod tip as the lure is being retrieved. The retrieve speed depends on how deep I want the lure to be. In shallower saltwater fisheries, a fast retrieve is wanted. These fish are usually feeding so the lure can be as fast as you want and they will still chase it down. In the tidal portion of the Fraser River, you want that lure to be a little deeper, presented a little more slowly, because water visibility is not as good and fish are generally not feeding at this point. The strikes are reactionary, so it takes a little more time to entice them.

obie1fish

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 11:31:15 AM »

1. Make sure that when you lower the rod tip that there is slack so the buzz bomb has a vertical drop. It should rotate then. The fish usually picks up the lure on the drop, so be ready.

2. I fished 2" buzz bombs at the Mouth of the Cap for years, and every coho I caught was hooked in the mouth. For quite some time a white 2" was the go-to there. I agree with Rod that it's the way it or any setup is used that turns it into a snagging tool. By the way, the buzz bomb was originally designed by Rex Field as a casting lure for the shoreline piers- in Comox, I believe, and gained popularity as a vertical lure later.

3. It's shallow at the mouth of the Cap, so speed up the retrieve. And be careful of the tides; many people have been stuck out on a sand bar because they didn't see the tide coming up. The currents there can be nasty.

4. Have a great time!

Mr Z

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 04:10:58 PM »

Thanks for the tips Rodney and obie1fish. I'll have some time to get out on the water next Fri/Sat and I'll give it a try.

azafai

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 11:48:41 AM »

Buzz Bomb is NOT a snagging lure.
Snagging fish happens more often while fly-fishing compared to using buzz bombs. 

wonder

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 12:00:22 PM »

I usually toss the black rubber thing and use a hard plastic bead instead. Caught plenty of pinks on a pink uv one in 2011

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 08:41:26 PM »

its not suppose to spin like a spinner, and you just dont cast it out and retrieve like a spoon or spinner, if youre doing that stop it. You lift your rod, and then lower it and reel in the slack and repeat. you wanna create enough slack in the line so that it falls vertically then it imitates a wounded bait fish, this is when most of the strikes happen. good luck.

NOTE - this has been my experience with PINKS,  haven't spent any time playing around with them with others......

Not true at all (well, true it's not suppose to, nor does it spin - it imitates swimming).  First off, buy the single hook buffer (the round black rubber thing is for treble hooks that have a straight eye) and if you're using a single barbless (or barbed for that matter [where it's allowed, when it's allowed, if you feel you HAVE to have the barb LOL) you need the other one.    The offset cut works its way to the bent eye of your hook.  Makes your offset eye single hook track straighter and increase hook-ups.

Secondly, I use buzz bombs often for pinks when they're moving farther out and/or heavy wind that grabs the line.  In fact, I would have to say I've caught more pinks on buzz bombs that spinners and spoons combined opver the years.  And honestly, my snags are VERY MINIMAL - VERY MINIMAL.  Depends on how you fish it (like any other tackle)  For the most part, I cast and retrieve, just like a spoon.  If you watch the buzz bomb movement while reeling it in, it "swims" just like a bait fish.  It's the approx size and shape of bait fish.  Pinks hit it on the retrieve 80-90% of the time, vs. the 10-20% of the time "horizontal jigging (which is well described here http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_buzz_bombing_Salmon_Rudnick.html ).

You have to keep in mind, that the larger they are the dramatically heavier they are in a low to no current situation, so a slow retrieve with a 2.5" is tough in little to no current.  I use the 1.5" pearl ones mostly (white pearl with a color stripe - white, blue or green).  I also do use the 2" when there's a heavier current or wind I need to cut through.  That being said, trial and error.  Most of the spots I go on the tidal Fraser are muddy bottom, so snags aren't an issue.  Rocky areas you kinda need to be dialed in on your retrieve speed, or it can become a pricey trial (well, more the error!).

One other fun addition to using them, is that I hook up consistantly (2-3 time each year, and I'm sure others do as well, but no one I know personally) with other salmon species that make for a fun fight, even if I end up breaking off after being spooled - well worth losing the 5 bucks to me for the rush LOL

Might not be for everyone, but it's just another tool to add to the tackle box when nothing else is working - I actually take 2 rods.  One a light-med rod with a smaller reel and lighter line (8 or 10 lb) for spoons and spinners, and a med rod with a larger reel and heavier line (12-15) for buzz bombs.  Makes for a quick change mid-school if they're not taking one well, and it's too hard on my light rod the snap of a cast with that much weight, IMO.  Often I outfish the spoon chuckers if it happens to be a tight lipped school, or one that's moved outside of spoon casting range.

Have fun, play safe ;) cheers!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 08:57:25 PM by scouterjames »
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 10:50:16 PM »

im well aware the cap mouth is the salt. If your on shore you cant jig it vertically though so your still jigging it at a 45 degree angle. pretty hard to snag fish in the chuck though. I was more referring to the people I have seen using these in the lower Fraser fishing for pinks. When 90+% of the fish that I see hooked are in the back, side, tail, anus.........
100% agree. A buzz bomb was designed to fish from a boat in the salt chuck. To be used to jig vertically straight up and down. To hear persons using them from shore makes no sense...

SteelHunter

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 11:00:54 PM »

100% agree. A buzz bomb was designed to fish from a boat in the salt chuck. To be used to jig vertically straight up and down. To hear persons using them from shore makes no sense...

"Buzz-Bombing" can certainly be done from a boat, but it's especially popular with shore-bound anglers because it's a technique that allows them to reach and catch fish swimming some distance from the beach.