Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crabbing on boat!  (Read 1582 times)

bobosaur

Crabbing on boat!
« on: August 01, 2014, 08:37:21 PM »

Going to rent a boat for some fishing this weekend.. might as well get some crabs!

I never done crabbing before..

What type of trap should I be looking to purchase?
Where's the best place to purchase them

Want to get something I can use from the shore as well for the near future.

bunnta

Re: Crabbing on boat!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 09:50:24 PM »

if ur on a boat, i would get those big trap which cost i think 25$ at berry which are decent one. the ones at canadian's tires are like 20? could be wrong but they all work fine. just know ur depth of the water your throwing your line in and know the regulations. you can't really use the big one on shore since....its kind of heavy to toss out but i've seen ppl do it.

ride604

Re: Crabbing on boat!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 10:03:03 PM »

From boat the most typical and basic crab trap used is a box trap

However, for crabbing from shore (I assume you mean piers and docks) box traps typically yield poor results compared to casting traps (not suitable for boat use)

Thats not to say a box won't produce off a dock/pier, just at a slower and more variable rate.  A basic 24 inch box trap will run you 30 bucks from Army and Navy, but then you have to factor in a buoy and rope.  Army and Navy have 100 feet of lead core plus a buoy on for 21.99 according to their website http://www.armyandnavy.ca/Pacific-Crabbing-Kit-With-Lead-Core-Rope_p_869.html  100 feet is a bit short for some places as you typically want 20-30 feet of extra line for tides and current, but you can always tie on some extra poly. I would also attach an old boat fender to the marker as they aren't particularly buoyant and it will make your trap stand out from the rest and be more visible.  Lots of people just use laundry detergent or milk jugs as buoys, but they are prone to degrading and the DFO has expressed interest in making standardized crab trap buoys a requirement, so may as well get a proper marker.  Finally, if you are crabbing in an area with strong currents, additional weight may be necessary to keep the trap anchored, but I have never had this problem crabbing in Indian Arm.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:15:58 PM by ride604 »