Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beware of flying pepper  (Read 2565 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Beware of flying pepper
« on: November 20, 2021, 06:24:10 PM »

I'm smoking some coho this weekend. My favourite brine recipe calls for a tablespoon of cracked pepper so I spent quite a bit of time in front of the TV twisting our little pepper mill to get the required measure. My hands and wrist were quite sore!

After getting the measure, I put the tablespoon measuring spoon inside the bowl I was grinding into and took it upstairs to the kitchen, being very mindful not to spill it.

I put the bowl with the spoon on the counter, looked at the ingredients already in my mixing bowl, and turned away. As I did so my hand hit the handle of the measuring spoon. The edge of the bowl acted like a fulcrum and the tablespoon launched out of the bowl, spreading my freshly ground pepper all over the floor. I may have said a bad word, or two...

As I brushed the pepper into a pile on the floor, a thought occurred to me "Could I put it in the brine anyways" :) I mulled that over longer than I should have, but some stray dog hairs dissuaded me.

Back to the TV...

(I told my buddy what happened and he recommended a coffee grinder which he uses for grinding pepper when barbequing beef brisket. For my second batch of brine that worked much better with less hand strain!)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Beware of flying pepper
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 08:32:49 AM »

put it in a small paper bag or a baggie. smack it with a wooden mallet then add to brine.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 01:08:27 PM »

Take the top nut off the grinder. Attach a variable speed drill set as low as possible and grind away. Should only take a very short while. My small coffee grinder is full of fibers from blending dubbing,
Riverman

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 07:01:11 AM »

Take the top nut off the grinder. Attach a variable speed drill set as low as possible and grind away. Should only take a very short while. My small coffee grinder is full of fibers from blending dubbing,

that would be ground pepper. for ground pepper I reduce the amount by 1/2 - so about 1.5 tsp
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 08:43:15 PM »

LOL - Scott, you had me worried when I read the title of your thread! Thank-you for not adding stray dog hairs to your recipe... ;D

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 10:23:27 PM »

Not to worry. It happened in my residence. Not an workplace incident :)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 09:49:01 AM »

I'm sure Worksafe disapproves grinding pepper and smoking salmon in the the workplace except if that's it's reason for business.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 10:10:16 PM »

Pepper spray? I hope the pup didn't sniff the floor.
http://