Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hey there, Pike Minnow  (Read 5972 times)

Ben!

Re: Hey there, Pike Minnow
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 01:29:32 AM »

or maybe you should consider changing lures or there might be something wrong if you feel you skunk a lot on what you are looking for??? usually, orange and firetiger works for me, but just plain silver or brass gold works equally well some days or so, and for spinners, panther martin and mepps are my choice, but u do need to rinse them after used in saltwater

jigs works perfectly for most fish too, and cheaper, i caught flounders and several other species there just by mini trout jigs in green and black, but those are kinda hard to come by, you could try to get them on ebay.

I'm using 1/8 crocs and I've used a few random spinners that I've found. I figured its the water clarity and maybe the size of the lure/hook that's the problem (being too big)... I was actually very interested in using jigs. Not too sure how to use them though, I suspect its as simple as cast and retrieve but more 'jigging' when retrieving??

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 10:51:43 AM »

Hayward Lake in Mission is full of them and they will take anything including spoons. [Was there about 3 weeks ago and the water clarity very good].  Mostly small though - less than six inches.

Ben!

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2009, 12:03:12 PM »

I have to disagree with you here, cuz the hook comes with the lures are fine mostly, even the crappiest one. Once the fish bite and committed they'll be hooked for sure. 1/8 croc's hook is about size 6, and should be fine for fish as small as 6". I've hooked a trout size of my hand in Whistler on that. The water clarity is one factor, but that doesn't explain why other catching fish in fraser with lures. Spinners make vibration can be exempt from that, cuz the water won't effect its action at all.

ya Jigs can be used like what you described, but sometimes you don't really need to jig it ~

I guess I just have to tough it out and be more patient!  ;D
I think I'll give jigs a try later, better get good with one type of lures first before I start using others =)

Thanks for all your input Randy

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 12:18:54 PM »

We got into a few fish yesterday on bait yesterday. Lost a big one, but it may have been a bull trout judging by how fast the line went off the reel.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=131

Try those pink and green ones I sent you yesterday Ben. It's the one that I use most of the time for large pikeminnows. You'll have days in August and September like these:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=38

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=43

Ben!

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 06:36:10 PM »

Its because if your pikeminnow blogs that's got me all interested in fishing for them!

I can't wait till I can test out the spinners in august!!

bowriva76

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 10:06:04 AM »

thanks for the replies, went out On Sat morning out of Mission, fished the mouth of a slough, caught a half Dozen or so Pike Minnow with some worms and a jig head in about 10 mins, , i was going for one more and then we are off too fish for some Sturgeon. Well i dropped the jig and worm down, feel a nibble , set the hook, and i feel a good tug, i knew it wasn't a pike minnow, turns out to be a little 30" Sturgeon. great fight on  light gear and 12lbs test. Goodtimes, we got one other later in the morning on a pike minnow, nothing to big 48". anyways great site, and keep on fishing.

captainzippy

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 08:34:30 PM »

Cultus Lake for sure. I saw a guy just in front of my campsite catch two in about 15 minutes. He was about 50 feet offshore, but I couldn't tell what he using for a lure