Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shuswap Lake, November 12th 2016  (Read 5397 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Shuswap Lake, November 12th 2016
« on: November 16, 2016, 03:07:54 AM »

We fished Shuswap Lake last Saturday. Originally the plan was to target lake trout in the deep but the bite was off after trying for a few hours, so we trolled bucktails on the surface before the day ended and that worked pretty well for rainbow trout.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y8TPCm_cRU

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
Re: Shuswap Lake, November 12th 2016
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 04:25:46 PM »

Awesome stuff Rod and Kitty. Gorgeous fish. Very jealous, I used to get up to Kootenay Lake every year for some bucktailing, but its been some time now.

If you're wanting to eliminate the wind implosives on the audio, just hit it a little harder with a high pass filter and it will clean it right up.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 04:29:36 PM »

This was near the end of the trip and we decided to film another hour, and my normal audio equipment is done for the day so had to use the backup. That's why I couldn't eliminate the wind noise for this one, otherwise normally the audio is crisp regardless the wind condition. :)

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 08:52:16 PM »

Cool vid!  Interesting to see bucktailing being effective.  It makes sense, just not something that would have hit me to implement although I have had success bucktailing coho and arctic char in the past.

I might give this a try on some of the local big lakes.  How many 'pulls' were you out?  I see some of them were caught with a weight and others were flatlined?  Did you also downrig the bucktails?

Thanks.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 11:55:24 PM »

Cool vid!  Interesting to see bucktailing being effective.  It makes sense, just not something that would have hit me to implement although I have had success bucktailing coho and arctic char in the past.

I might give this a try on some of the local big lakes.  How many 'pulls' were you out?  I see some of them were caught with a weight and others were flatlined?  Did you also downrig the bucktails?

Thanks.

About 50 pulls. There were four of us so we ran four rods. Two of the rods were on the downriggers at the very back of the boat. They were around 10 to 20 feet deep if I remember correctly. The other two rods were on the sides, and two extension poles with Scotty clips at the end were used to spread the lines further out to prevent tangles. These two rods were not on the downriggers so the flies were just below the surface. We added a tiny detachable weight to both lines to keep the fly just a bit further down, maybe a foot or two.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 04:08:50 PM »

This was near the end of the trip and we decided to film another hour, and my normal audio equipment is done for the day so had to use the backup. That's why I couldn't eliminate the wind noise for this one, otherwise normally the audio is crisp regardless the wind condition. :)

"my normal audio equipment"

Do mean a lavalier wireless setup?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 09:42:52 PM »

Yep.