Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 13th 2016  (Read 6029 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Chilliwack River, October 13th 2016
« on: October 13, 2016, 10:32:16 AM »

After losing quite a few fish yesterday, I decided to give it another go this morning before the rainstorm blows the river out. The bite was really on between 7:00am and 7:20am. I should have counted my casts because it was either one fish on every cast or one on every two casts. During those 20 minutes, I managed to hook six. First fish popped off. Three wilds were released and they were big too. Two hatchery fish were kepted and both were in the 4lb range. I think the big hatchery fish have already been picked off at this spot in the last week or so. Casting and retrieving a 1/4oz Gibbs Croc spoon did the trick again. I also managed to hook two chum salmon, so they are getting abundant now.

sockeyed

Re: Chilliwack River, October 13th 2016
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 12:56:08 PM »

Thanks for the recent reports! I love seeing the photos and learning from them.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 01:38:46 PM »

You ever use your Curado for chucking spoons Rod ? . Are you more successful using the spinner with casting spoons .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 02:13:08 PM »

You ever use your Curado for chucking spoons Rod ? . Are you more successful using the spinner with casting spoons .

I've used my low profile (Chronarch) to chuck spoons. It works ok, but mine are spooled with thicker line for float fishing, plus I find spinning reels work way better if you decide to twitch your lure etc.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 05:11:29 PM »

As Rod said the bite was short for most of us. As I like seeing the Auston Matthews DNE float going down I like to float  fish as it is always a challenge to hook them, for me anyway. I had several takes and fell short of Auston's 4 goals last night but I was pleased to take 3 hatchery coho salmon home.

We may be able to repeat some good fishing tomorrow as the river held nicely even though it rained very hard today.

By the way I did spot Rod today and as he left I found a leatherman multi - tool  close to where he was fishing, I will put up on Lost and Found later as have to go to a FVSS meeting shortly

blueback

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 05:49:24 PM »

Fished the canal from 1:30-3:30 and got three wilds; 5-7 lbs, dime bright, on last years spring roe. Bite was on/off/on as the sun came out briefly. The water had just a little colour. With luck, maybe tomorrow?   

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 07:29:08 PM »

Fished the lower this morning and landed three wild and two hatchery coho . Also hooked a few chum , two of which were nice and bright . The weather is calling for strong winds and more rain tonight into tomorrow . I can't imagine the river will be holding for much longer .

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 08:23:02 PM »

Doubt it will hold, heavy rains coming tonight.